Matcha Green Tea Powder? Where To Find This?

Decorating By crazyladybaker Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 2:03am by crazyladybaker

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 10

I am really wanting to try to make matcha green tea powder buttercream. The color just looks divine. Does anyone know of a local source that might carry it? I am in the US and have looked at Trader Joes, Earth Fair as well as all the local grocery stores.

Has anyone baked with this? I would love to hear your thoughts.

I think these are so pretty:
http://www.matchasource.com/matcha-cupcakes-s/41.htm

9 replies
Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 10

I have also read about the matcha green tea powder. I have a green tea cake on my list of cake flavors I would like to try. It seems hard to find. What I read, that I was going to try, said that you could easily make it yourself. If you have a coffee grinder you can buy regular green tea and pulverize it yourself.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 10

Looks interesting but it's a costly ingredient. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Trishop2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trishop2 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 10

I order it from the republic of tea. I love that place, they will send a free catalog with every kind of tea imaginable. The matcha powder is a little spendy, $26 for a few ounces, though it is pure matcha powder.

Starbucks also sells a green tea, that is made with matcha powder so you may be able to get it there. The green tea frap. is really good & green so it should work for cupcakes, if they will sell it.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 10

They have it at most Asian grocery markets. I needed some a few years ago and found it there. Was able to buy a small foil envelope. *But* Don't put too much in! I tried it in a shortbread type cookie and put way too much in! It tasted terrible.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 10

Don't remember where I got it. But I love to use it in baking. I have a great green tea shortbread cookie I make. I think I got about a pound for $20. Good thing is that a pound of this stuff is a whole lot and it goes a looong way.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 10

I found some green tea that tasted good to me and processed it into powder.

crazyladybaker Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 10

I think I will try the green tea that I have and grind it up. There is an asian market in Charlotte that I will try to hit soon.
Thanks for the input ladies!!

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 10

You can buy it at Teavana, a tea shop that is popular in many malls. They sell tea by weight, so that you can buy as much or as little as you need. If you do not have this store in a mall nearby, I know they have a website and the green tea is advertised there. I'm sure you could order it online, I don't know the price of shipping and handling. Might end up too $$$$$.
I bought some to make the chocolate matcha bundt cake on Bakerella's site for my DIL.

crazyladybaker Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:03am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcakes

You can buy it at Teavana, a tea shop that is popular in many malls. They sell tea by weight, so that you can buy as much or as little as you need. If you do not have this store in a mall nearby, I know they have a website and the green tea is advertised there. I'm sure you could order it online, I don't know the price of shipping and handling. Might end up too $$$$$.
I bought some to make the chocolate matcha bundt cake on Bakerella's site for my DIL.

Thanks! I will check that site out. I love Bakerella thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%