Help!how Long Can You Keep An Iced Cake In The Freezer For?

Decorating By drivingdiva Updated 5 Jul 2010 , 12:12pm by cherrycakes

drivingdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drivingdiva Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #1 of 12

I had an event to which this cake was due this past Saturday and the event is postponed for 2 weeks. Does anyone know if this cake will still be good if placed in the freezer for this long? Please help.

11 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:05am
post #2 of 12

If you box the cake, wrap the box in saran and/or foil, and then place in a garbage bag that's taped shut, the cake should be fine for at least 2 weeks.

To defrost, place in the refrigerator, still boxed AND bagged, for 24 hrs. before the event. About 4 hrs. before the event, take the cake out of the fridge and allow to come to room temp--STILL IN THE BOX & BAG. Once the cake comes to room temp, carefully remove the bag & box. It should look good as new and no one will ever know that it spent time in the deep freeze.

HTH
Rae

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:11am
post #3 of 12

If fondant or dark colors are involved, the cake may bleed as it thaws. The taste will be fine, but the appearance may not.

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:24am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

If fondant or dark colors are involved, the cake may bleed as it thaws. The taste will be fine, but the appearance may not.

Yep, that's why I stress keeping it completely boxed & bagged until it's at room temp.

It's absolutely necessary to keep it out of the warm, humid room air until it's temperature has equalized and it can no longer form condensation based on it being cold.

With the plastic bag on, it never "contacts" the room air while it's cold.

Rae

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for posting this as I was searching for the same answer! I am going to be freezing fondant cakes for this weekend and will go through the steps recommended. As I'll be travelling 2 1/2 hours on Friday (in a van with A/C), should I still bring the cakes to room temp. before transporting? Or could they go directly from the fridge into the cold van?

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:02am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Thanks for posting this as I was searching for the same answer! I am going to be freezing fondant cakes for this weekend and will go through the steps recommended. As I'll be travelling 2 1/2 hours on Friday (in a van with A/C), should I still bring the cakes to room temp. before transporting? Or could they go directly from the fridge into the cold van?

Personally, I'd put them directly into the van frozen (unless they are very large--like 14"+) because I'd expect them to defrost pretty well in a 2.5hr. drive, even with the A/C on.

If you decide to defrost them first--fine if the fillings aren't perishable--then transport in cardboard boxes--NO wrappings.

Just be careful that they don't come to room temp and stay wrapped up too long and overheat. If room temp fondant covered cakes are in an airtight environment, the fondant will draw moisture from the cake and sag. Better to err on the side of caution and deal with a little condensation!

HTH
Rae

cherrycakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:49am
post #7 of 12

Thanks so much for you quick response Rae! The tiers will be 6, 9, 12, and 14" (4 " high). I would really like to take them frozen but should I defrost the 14" overnight? I have an empty fridge so space isn't a problem. If I do take them frozen should I then keep them completely wrapped up until we get to our destination?

-Charisse

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:23am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Thanks so much for you quick response Rae! The tiers will be 6, 9, 12, and 14" (4 " high). I would really like to take them frozen but should I defrost the 14" overnight? I have an empty fridge so space isn't a problem. If I do take them frozen should I then keep them completely wrapped up until we get to our destination?

-Charisse

I think the smallest tiers will defrost in 2.5hrs., but the larger 2 may take longer. Unfortunately, I have no good way to tell you how long that is--a filled 14 inch could easily take 6hrs. to come to room temp.

The thing I'd be considering is how long after you arrive until the cakes will be served?
If it's several hours after you arrive at you destination, then taking them frozen should be fine. It also allows you to keep the car at a reasonable temp for people icon_rolleyes.gif
If it will be assembled and eaten right away, then the 2 larger cakes should probably defrost awhile before going in the car.

Again, it's taking care to keep condensation from forming, but not keeping them covered so long that the fondant sags. If it comes down to choosing, the condensation will dry and as long as you don't touch the cake, it will be fine. Saggy fondant is another matter..................

HTH
Rae

cherrycakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #9 of 12

Thanks again! I've succesfully frozen fondant cakes before but I haven't travelled with them - hence the apprehension. The cake will actually be served on Saturday evening so it will be set up on Friday afternoon in the church. I'm going this route (it's a wedding gift to my cousin) because my husband and I are doing the ceremony music (piano/violin), our son is singing a solo in the ceremony and our 4 year old daughter is a flower girl! I just want to get the cake set up and done with so that I can concentrate on all the other details!

I'm leaning towards putting them all in the fridge on Thursday night to avoid any condensation problems. Does that make the most sense?

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:41am
post #10 of 12

Oh, with that wide a window, you could go either way--whatever makes you most comfortable.

Rae

jane2312 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jane2312 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:18pm
post #11 of 12

thanks, answered my question above tooicon_smile.gif

cherrycakes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:12pm
post #12 of 12

Whew! Finally got through that weekend! I ended up putting all frozen tiers in the fridge overnight (still wrapped tightly) and took them out in the morning and left them uncovered in our cool basement for about 4 hours before we left. They went right into the van with AC with boxes slightly propped open. After our 2 1/2 hour drive (arrived at 3 pm) they were still quite wet with condensation but were nice and dry by 9 pm when I stacked them. They turned out perfectly and many people said it was the best cake they had ever tasted icon_smile.gif

Thanks again Rae for all of your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%