Help With Elephant Skin Fondant

Baking By SugarKissesCakery Updated 17 Jul 2011 , 7:23am by labarradulce

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 5

Can someone shed some light on this please? I made a batch of mmf and used americolor to get a really deep blue. I used quite a bit of the coloring. (I added the coloring to the melted marshmellows) Now my mmf seems very dry and when I roll it out it has elephant skin. Was it all the coloring I added? This is the first time I've used Americolor. Is there a way to fix this batch or do I have to start over?

4 replies
mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 5

Try putting it in the microwave for a few seconds. You could also add a little bit of crisco and work in. Either way should help you to get softer mmf

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 5

put shortening on your hands and keep kneading it . Put little glycerine on it also. and knead really well. And roll out on little shorteing, not powder sugar,etc. Roll it on a greased mat, and turn over on the cake you are applying it to. hth

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 5

sometimes, if you do add TONS of color, it really will change the texture of it. I have this problem with black sometimes.

labarradulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labarradulce Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 7:23am
post #5 of 5

I have the very same problem right now and I think its because we added the coloring to the melted hot marshmallows icon_sad.gif

It`s the very first time I have problems with my MMF, to save time I put the coloring in the begginig because I needed to do a biiig batch of MMf, now I have a big batch of weird texture and crackly MMF icon_mad.gif

I put it on the microwave and then added tooons of shortening to a little bit and it worked so so, I also used a fondant vinyl mat.

The texture it`s like play do when I kneed it thumbsdown.gif

I HATE that big red head-size batch of fondant that is staring at me... icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%