Decorated 1 Layer Cake?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 1:18pm by carmijok

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 4

I was asked if I would make a decorated 1 layer 7" or 9" round for a baby shower. I've always made 2 layered & filled. So, my ?'s are

1) How would you adjust your pricing

2) How would you calculate the servings

I think it will look squatty, but if that's what they want (mainly for pricing reasons) I guess I'll do it.

3 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 4

Tort it and fill it. It won't be so 'squatty' and it will be like a 2 layer. I don't know what you're charging now, but you'll still be putting time and ingredients into it so don't sell yourself short. you might be better off asking what the budget is and decorate accordingly with a regular 2 layer. Base your price on the level of decor instead of layers. Here's the best thing I found on here for calculating cake:

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi

These are based on 2 layers so figure half the servings

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 4

I was thinking the same about it's decoration, not cake. To me it's just as easy to make 2 layers as it is 1. but I would use a little less buttercream & batter. I charge $3.25 for my buttercream (base price) and $2.25/serving for my sheetcakes. Should I just quote her a sheet cake $/serving? for the base price? I'll take a look at your link when I'm at my computer. Thanks

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

I was thinking the same about it's decoration, not cake. To me it's just as easy to make 2 layers as it is 1. but I would use a little less buttercream & batter. I charge $3.25 for my buttercream (base price) and $2.25/serving for my sheetcakes. Should I just quote her a sheet cake $/serving? for the base price? I'll take a look at your link when I'm at my computer. Thanks

I think a base sheet cake base price is good to start IMO. Then add accordingly! I really like the cake calculator. It helped me big time when I did a 3 tier bridal shower cake.
Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%