Geting So Discouraged

Decorating By CNCS Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 11:55pm by mpetty

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 7

I once had depth perseption. Ive had 5 eye surgeries that have all but ruined my vision.

2 lens implants that give me NO close up ability at all. I did a wedding cake this week and Ive realized I can no longer see well enough to do them. I just hate no being able to get close enough with or without glasses to smooth and get even crisp corners, edges and detail work.

I spoke to my eye surgeon before my last surgery and he said right now there wasnt much he could do to help the close up work i do unless I wanted to sacrafice the distance and not be able to drive. Driving won out.

I felt so ashamed of the cake and all the dips and valleys in the icing edges not as clean. I just cant do it any more. I'll stick to larger cookies and candy bouquets plus the occasional sheet cakes.

Lost faith in my ability this week.

6 replies
Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 7

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. You must feel so down. You seem to be taking this disappointment very well, adjusting your game plan to cookies, etc. but there may be another option. My MIL has macular degeneration and has discovered that there are many types of magnifying type lenses that allow people to still work on craft/hobbies. Have you looked into that? If people are able to adjust them for sewing/embroidery etc. why wouldn't it work for cakes?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 7

Sorry to hear of your vision problems... I would choose driving too. How do you read? Do your glasses help with reading?

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 7

I can read but not long get eye strain really bad. I have an ott light that helps but I can tell in the long run things have to change.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

My MIL has macular degeneration and has discovered that there are many types of magnifying type lenses that allow people to still work on craft/hobbies. Have you looked into that? If people are able to adjust them for sewing/embroidery etc. why wouldn't it work for cakes?

I'd like to hear the answer to this too.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 7

I feel your pain. I suffer from a different eye condition, but I have a similar problem. I cannot do fine detail work. If I get up close to work on something, I get double vision and cannot work. Reading has become a lot more difficult for me as well.

There is surgery they can do to correct the problem, but it's not guaranteed, and eye surgery scares me, honestly.

So know there's someone else here who feels like you do.

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 7

My mom suffers from macular degeneration, too. This company offers a very wide range of low vision aids, maybe something can be of assistance to you:

http://www.independentliving.com/?gclid=CILQw_rioKICFRA35wodcRAEyQ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%