Where Is The Celebrity Concert For The Gulf?

Lounge By mellormom Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 3:42pm by JaeRodriguez

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:23am
post #1 of 14

Why is it that they are so eager to put on a concert for people in other countries that have a crisis but now that it's our turn....
I know they helped during Katrina but it seems like no one thinks the gulf issue is that serious and it is.
The images and things of the wildlife and the people who completely lost there way of life are horrific!
I almost feel like in order for people to get help in this country you have to be a minority. Those people in the gulf really need help and it seems like the government is in no rush to help. They claim they are because that is what people want to hear but what have they done? (I'm not trying to offend any minorities!)
Just my 2cents.
Jen...

13 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:19am
post #2 of 14

Thre wa another thread about this but it seems to have disappeared. It must have gone crazy last night, but I missed it.

mellormom Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 14

I think I posted the last one but I didn't see it so I thought that maybe I didn't post it after all. I guess I did. LOL We will see what happens with this one.
Jen...

costumeczar Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 14

Did the last thread get totally political or something? Personally, I don't see why anyone would be irate about suggesting that there be some kind of benefit for the disaster, but I guess some people can make anything controversial.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 14

There's no celeb concerts because this wasn't a natural disaster. It 's the sole responsibility of BP and they have to pay for the cleanup. There's no reason to give a company worth many gazillions of dollar charity money.

costumeczar Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

There's no celeb concerts because this wasn't a natural disaster. It 's the sole responsibility of BP and they have to pay for the cleanup. There's no reason to give a company worth many gazillions of dollar charity money.

They could give it to the organizations trying to clean up the shoreline and the wildlife. BP should be paying for it all, but they're going to go bankrupt and then what will happen?

mellormom Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 14

no, I mean the people who's lives are ruined. BP is only going to do so much and then what are the people going to do once BP stops helping or goes Bankrupt?
I don't think the money should go to BP I think it should go to the clean-up and people who need it.
That was my point. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 14

You can follow daily reports on what BP is doing on thier website. Where the compensation money is going etc. It might take a bit longer to load as so many people do visit the website but it will come up in a few seconds.

http://www.bp.com/extendedsectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=40&contentId=7061813

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 14

This is the first concert that I have seen from a celebrity concerning the oil spill.

Update: Jimmy Buffett announces Gulf Shores concert to promote tourism
blog.al.com
He'll be playing the beach July 1, a Thursday, and he'll be bringing some friends. icon_wink.gif

Maybe now others will join the bandwagon and help.

costumeczar Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 14

JB just opened a hotel on the gulf somewhere, so I think this is less to promote tourism than to promote staying at his hotel icon_wink.gif But I guess anything is better than nothing!

mellormom Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:03am
post #11 of 14

The reason I think Celebrities should get involved is because if BP keeps shelling out tons of money then they are just going to declare bankruptcy and No one will get any money. And the spill will just continue with no funding to get rid of the oil and then where will we be?
BP should pay but we need to have a balance or the people in the Gulf are going to get screwed.
JMO
Jen...

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom

The reason I think Celebrities should get involved is because if BP keeps shelling out tons of money then they are just going to declare bankruptcy and No one will get any money. And the spill will just continue with no funding to get rid of the oil and then where will we be?
BP should pay but we need to have a balance or the people in the Gulf are going to get screwed.
JMO
Jen...

You can go to the BP website and sign up for the lastest updates to arrive in your email of what is being done for the gulf, regarding cleanup, claims etc. I did as I wanted to keep up with whats going on without having to rely on what my news channel may or may not be reporting. It only takes a few seconds. My feelings only but, even with all the compensation and cleanup money BP is putting out, I don't think it will cause them to declare bankruptcy.

Heres the link for signing up for the latest news reports. Just click on register for news, in the box that says Related Links.

http://www.bp.com/PressReleaseDateSorterAction.do?categoryId=2012968&contentId=2006635&year=2010&month=0&taxonomyId=2021012

Celebrity fundraisers or any fundraisers are wonderful and always needed, but unfortunately, more often than not, the full amount of money raised will not end up going to the persons or cause is was intended for.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 14

Some people want to boycott BP, but if they do all they are hurting is the public. If their stocks go down and you happen to have a mutual fund, it might have stock in BP and you don't even know it. Also, if you boycott them to the point where they are losing too much money in the US, they could shut down all operations her and just keep their company in Europe. The have a very big pocket and I doubt if we will do much other than to tick them off and they leave us with a huge mess.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:42pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

Some people want to boycott BP, but if they do all they are hurting is the public. If their stocks go down and you happen to have a mutual fund, it might have stock in BP and you don't even know it. Also, if you boycott them to the point where they are losing too much money in the US, they could shut down all operations her and just keep their company in Europe. The have a very big pocket and I doubt if we will do much other than to tick them off and they leave us with a huge mess

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%