Ganache

Decorating By sweettoothtreats Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 9:34am by noahsmummy

sweettoothtreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothtreats Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:07am
post #1 of 6

As I'm a beginner, I have tons of simple questions. I have worked in a restaurant that served the most amazing chocolate cake. I know it was covered it ganache. But I have a fedw questions...

Do I need to do a crumb coat on my cake before covering with Ganache?
Can ganache be used as a filling?
Can ganache be used as a crumb coat under fondant?

Thanks to all the pros that can offer some advice. Thank you.
(Would love to practice all day, every day. Just can't give up full-time job and 3 kids to do so. Envious of all that can.)

5 replies
cassiebunney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassiebunney Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:24am
post #2 of 6

Yes you can use ganache as a filling and as a crumb coat under fondant... it works really well for both. I've never used it as a frosting without covering it with fondant so I don't know for sure about crumb coating, I would say it depends on how crubly your cake is just like with buttercream. It is probably a good idea.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:21am
post #3 of 6

I just used ganache for a wedding cake this weekend. Yes you can use it as a filling and no you don't need to crumb coat before applying. Yes you can use it under fondant. I made a chocolate cake with a vanilla mousse covered it in ganache and then covered in fondant. I made my ganache the day before I had to assemble the cake and let it sit on the counter at room temp. The next day I frosted my cake with the ganache making sure to smooth the cake perfectly. I then placed my cake in the fridge to help the ganache set up quicker. Last I covered with fondant. It was so easy to smooth. Give it a try I think you will like the result.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:05am
post #4 of 6

whipped ganche is one of my favourite fillings. =) in fact, im just about to go whip up a batch of white choc. whipped ganache now.. =D so there goes that diet i was planning again....haha

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:12am
post #5 of 6

Hi noahsmummy thank you for all the help you gave me with the ganache and fondant. It turned out perfect. The funny thing is the cake that was covered in fondant and ganache was the layer I was worried about. I had to make a silicone impression of tree bard and turn the bottom cake into a log. It was so easy. The two top tiers which were iced in butter cream with cut out fondant grass was a pain in my back side. Again thank you for your help.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:34am
post #6 of 6

no problem at all. glad it worked out for you! i was having issues with b/c this weekend too, it was so cold here that my b/c went so stiff i could hardly pipe it. ened up spraining my wrist in the process and being left with some very ugly b/c swirls. ahh well, we win some we loose some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%