Multiple Inquiries About The Same Date

Business By KTB4 Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 7:27pm by KHalstead

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:43am
post #1 of 7

I had a bride inquire about a date and I gave her a quote. She said yep I want to book so I sent her the contract and the ways she could send me her deposit. A week went by so I contacted her to make sure she got the contract and to re-iterate that until i got her deposit the date was still open. She said yep I'm bringing it to you next week. Okay good.

Now tonight I got an email from another bride asking about the same date icon_eek.gif I work by myself so there's no way I can do both orders since they're 150+ cupcakes each.

How should I respond to bride #2 about my availability? Should I contact bride #1 again and tell her I've had an inquiry about her date?

6 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:47am
post #2 of 7

tell B#2 that the date is open at this time - but it could close if anyone else get's a deposit in before she does.

you've already told B#1 enough.

the first to put $$ in your hand gets it.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

tell B#2 that the date is open at this time - but it could close if anyone else get's a deposit in before she does.

What Doug said thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:30am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

What Doug said thumbs_up.gif

Yep.

See my blog .... 6th paragraph .... where I flat out spell it out for them.
http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/when%20to%20book

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:35am
post #5 of 7

Yeah, what Doug said thumbs_up.gif

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:13am
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone. I've read a lot of posts here about the business aspect of this and thought "well of course that's how you should do it"funny that when it comes time for me to put it into practice I find it a lot harder icon_razz.gif

I went with Doug's advice for the most part icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 7

I block out Thurs. , Fri., and Saturday for wedding orders......as soon as I have a bride book, those 3 days are OFF my calendar and I won't accept ANY other orders. I'm capable of doing other orders, but I really believe it's such an important occasion that it deserves 100% of my time and focus..so that's what I do.

Now, with that said........when I get an inquiry for a date, I mark down the brides name and let them know (just like you did) that the date is not "booked" until I receive 30% of her total order as a deposit.

When Bride #2 calls about the same date, I tell her (like Doug said)...the date is still open, but someone else HAS shown an interest in reserving it as well, but has not paid a deposit, whoever pays their deposit first will have the date.

I then, in addition, call/email Bride#1 and tell her...."Just to let you know, I currently have another bride who is interested in (insert date here) for her wedding, and wanted to give you the courtesy of knowing, as I will accept the bookings on a first paid first serve basis. Thank you for your time"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%