What's So Big About Wasc Cake? Honest Question..

Decorating By LuvLyrics Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 9:06pm by multilayered

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:31am
post #31 of 66

So Im another newbie who wants to try out the famous WASC!

I have looked up the original recipe...and I just want to be double sure...it doesnt call for any oil etc...so basically I just follow the recipe posted by 'kakeladi'..and nothing on the box right?

Also, how can I incorporate a coffee flavour to my cake? I dont have coffee liquor...can I just add instant coffee mixed with water. (I'll use part of the 1 cup water that is in the original WASC recipe?)
The filling will be dulce de leche with BC.

Thanks!

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:39pm
post #32 of 66

I made the WASC for my nephews graduation 2 weeks ago, and my sister said her friends were still talking about it the next week. His dad asked me to make another cake while I was there for his soccer team, but I didn't feel like it so I just made a vanilla box mix. there were leftovers for that one, and his dad told the kids (they have 5) that they had to eat the leftover soccer cake, because the grad cake was all his. My sister asked him why, he said it was SO much better. She told me he ate the rest of it. I think it tastes ok, my husband calls it his crack, LOL

sweetooth94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth94 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:16pm
post #33 of 66
Quote:
Quote:

Also, how can I incorporate a coffee flavour to my cake? I dont have coffee liquor...can I just add instant coffee mixed with water. (I'll use part of the 1 cup water that is in the original WASC recipe?)

I use the *original* WASC recipe all the time and often substitute the liquid for flavors I need in the cake. I've used soda, creamers, water, juice, anything that has the flavor I need for the cake I am baking. Just use 1 cup of coffee instead of plain water.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:23pm
post #34 of 66

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with this cake and for sharing recipes !! I love this group !

Sweetooth94... By *original* do you mean kakeladie's?

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:36pm
post #35 of 66

I use it because its moist, dense, easy to work with, always a flavor favorite and is so versatile.
Most of the time I half the amount of almond flavoring.

I love this cake!!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:46pm
post #36 of 66

Pickulz - you can also brush the cake with a simple syrup made with coffee instead of water - it really amps up the coffee flavor. I use the instant coffee dissolved in the water for the cake.

Noahsmummy - I have seen apple flovored yogurts in the store. That would be a good sub for the sour cream.

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:52pm
post #37 of 66

I use WASC because it is so reliable as well as being delicious and easy to tort and handle. I am a hobby baker and don't have the time or money to waste on scratch recipes that collapse or come out dry and crumbly. Now I will be the first to admit that I am undoubtedly not a great baker and thats why I have not had success with scratch recipes (for all the dedicated and fantastic scratch bakers out there) so for me WASC always bakes up great when I need to provide cakes for family events.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm
post #38 of 66

Don't forget the choc WASC version!! Deee-lish! Macsmom has a great recipe. icon_biggrin.gif

sweetooth94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth94 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:08pm
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLyrics

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with this cake and for sharing recipes !! I love this group !

Sweetooth94... By *original* do you mean kakeladie's?

Yep - kakeladi's version!! Love the texture, all it's possible flavor variations and how it handles for layering and crumb coating.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #40 of 66

I, too, use Kakeladi's version. Most of the time, I do make it as a WASC cake, as it is my favorite way. However, if I am unsure of someone's love of almond (which I adore), I either amp up the other flavors to make 1 T, or substitute something more suitable for the filling/frosting I am using. Right now in my freezer is a lemon version. I used a lemon cake mix, grated some zest into the batter, and used lemon flavoring with the vanilla and butter rather than the almond. It was a thing of beauty coming out of the oven. Sometimes I have had the layers crumble a bit, but usually it is when I am handling them when they are still way too hot. Cooling a short bit before moving them out of the pan and flipping them has resulted in beautiful cakes from that recipe. The best thing is no one would even guess it started with a mix...it does NOT have the cake mix flavor which gives away straight mixes.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:34pm
post #41 of 66

I tried the WASC cake once & was not impressed. It was dry and heavy, to say the least. But with all of these rave reviews...maybe I should give it another try! Maybe I did something wrong...

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #42 of 66

What is the difference (in taste or texture) between the WASC recipe with oil..and the one without. I, personally use the one with oil. Just curious on other's opinions.

KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:02pm
post #43 of 66

For the "original Wasc" recipe are most people using water or milk for their liquid?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm
post #44 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristasKakes78

For the "original Wasc" recipe are most people using water or milk for their liquid?

I use 1/2 cup of each.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:49pm
post #45 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

What is the difference (in taste or texture) between the WASC recipe with oil..and the one without. I, personally use the one with oil. Just curious on other's opinions.

I like the texture of kakeladi's recipe better because it isn't "heavy" and the crumb is much better. IMO Her recipe only has 1 cup of liquid as well as having no oil.

ddaigle Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:52pm
post #46 of 66

I will try kakeladi's. Also, when I made the 2 box batch, I found that it did not fill up my 12x18 as I would like. I put a flower nail in the center and it looked good...just not "full". Using 3 boxes with the extra flour, sugar, sour cream was too much.

KristasKakes78 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:13pm
post #47 of 66

Thanks mamawrobin,you are always so helpful.I have this in the oven right now.

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:20pm
post #48 of 66

I haven't seen the recipe ingredients yet but is there any way to sub the sourcream for soymilk for those who might be lactose intolerant?

KristasKakes78 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:34pm
post #49 of 66

I just took this out of the oven and it looks great,I baked at 325. I only ever tried the WASC with oil in it and it sunk in the middle.This time I used the original WASC and it looks perfect!!!

ddaigle Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:52am
post #50 of 66

Is anyone not getting a full 12x18 cake like me?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:02am
post #51 of 66

The recipe makes about 15 cups of batter for me.

If I want the full, 2" layer on a 12x18, I find that I really need more than the 14 cups of batter called for--more like 17-18--so that the pan is closer to 2/3 full, rather than just half.

I tend to make a recipe and a half when I have very large layers so that I have the luxury of filling the pan more, and then use or freeze the rest of the batter.

Rae

ddaigle Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:26am
post #52 of 66

I remember reading in a different thread that one of the cake mixes made more batter than the others...I am a pillsbury gal, but I will switch to get more batter. I want a full 2" cake. Does anyone remember or know which mixes make more batter than others? Sorry OP...I don't mean to hog your thread...you just asked a great question!

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:23am
post #53 of 66

What about fillings for this cake? We've talked about the cake and not the filling !!! I personally love almond, and I am really looking forward to making this cake for my family next week !

Anna

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:32am
post #54 of 66

Duncan Hines makes more batter.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:36am
post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLyrics

What about fillings for this cake? We've talked about the cake and not the filling !!! I personally love almond, and I am really looking forward to making this cake for my family next week !

Anna

I have a 5 tier wedding cake this weekend and I used this recipe. I just finished up a test cake for the family and it was wonderful! I only used half the almond in the recipe because I am not sure if the whole wedding party likes it and the bride didn't care one way or the other.
I folded in white chocolate ganache into the buttercream for a filling...YUM!

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #56 of 66

I have made it in the past, and honestly didn't care for it...don't see what all the hype is about..but that is just me...I am a cake snob, and like my own recipes better...LOL icon_lol.gif
I made cupcakes with it for my family, and they all agreed not the best cake they have had or that I have made, I agree with some of the others too I am not a big almond flavor fan, so that could also alter my judgement....just my opinion, I am only one....

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #57 of 66

I made it and didn't like it very much either. Thought it was just me so I made it and took it to my husbands work with a batch of the super enhanced cake mix recipe as well. Everyone preferred the super enhanced. That was the one I always use anyway so I was glad everyone liked it so much. Everyone has different tastes so it's fun to try out new recipes until you find one you love

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #58 of 66

Thanks Apetricek! I too can't see what all the hype is all about. I can only see that cake being good by the different fillings in it. I make it but I always fill it with pineapple and use cream cheese icing topped with coconut. I prefer scratch cakes. Just my opinion.

Michelle84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle84 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:03am
post #59 of 66

I baked my first WASC cake 2 days ago (although I only used vanilla, no almond flavouring) and we "taste tested" yesterday. I layered and covered it with white chocolate ganache. There were 3 of us taste testing a 10" cake and today it's all gone icon_redface.gif
It tasted amazing thumbs_up.gif It's definitely my favourite cake flavour now, and my cousin has requested this for her birthday.

Oh how my hips/thighs will hate me..

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:37am
post #60 of 66

I LOVE almond extract. I would wear it as perfume if I could. The smell is divine!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%