How Do I Get A Clean Cut Around The Base Of A Tier?

Decorating By andysprite Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 6:46pm by Taleesa

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 5

I'm doing a 4 tier wedding cake this week (discussed in another thread) and the base of each tier has to be perfect because there won't be any trim or piping work to hide mistakes. :{ How do I do this and how would I stack the tiers without messing it up?

4 replies
njoycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njoycakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 5

I'm pretty much a newbie myself but I would suggest...well each tier is going to be on a cake card anyway, right? so instead of using a turntable I would put my cake on top of a tin or glass or something to raise it so that I could get underneath it and then cover as normal but leave a bit of overhang at the base so that the excess fondant oculd be kind of tucked under? Hope that makes sense and hope it helps, maybe someone more experienced has a better idea.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 5

You might try elevating each fondant covered tier on something (a can or other) and letting the tiers settle overnight, then take a small, sharp knife to trim the bottoms.

After the fondant is applied, there is still some settling/dragging down. I think this original advice came from Antonia and it works great to get really clean edges. HTH

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much for the help!

Taleesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taleesa Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for posting this== i'm new to fondant and also wondered this also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%