Choco-Pan Fondant Disapointment

Decorating By multilayered Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 8:57am by sweettreat101

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 10

I hate to have two negative post's in one day, but am I the only one who had a bad experience with this stuff. Did I do something wrong?? I used the Choco-pan (without the broken top) for the first time I took half nuked it on low for 7 seconds, kneaded it, rolled it out and when I went to lift it and put it on the cake it broke apart almost disintegrated. I tried 4 more times and even the one time I had gotten it over the cake in one piece it started tearing and falling apart, I had to through all of it out, and now have to go by a stupid store bought cake for my own son's birthday icon_cry.gif At least I have my figures I can add. Has this happened to any of you or did I somehow do something wrong?

9 replies
Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 10

I've had similar experience with ChocoPan but I found that mixing it 50/50 with Wiltons works great. I got a workable, tasty fondant that I use often.
I don't know about colors other than white. I have some black ChocoPan that I'll probably have to mix with black Satin Ice. Plus- I don't nuke my fondant. HTH icon_smile.gif

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 10

Choco-Pan is tricky but putting it in the microwave even for a second breaks it down. You can put it in the fridge for 20 mins and it will stiffen back up. I just put it in a warm place before I use it...it's all I use...but realize that it takes more practice than most icon_smile.gif HTH

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anasazi17

Choco-Pan is tricky but putting it in the microwave even for a second breaks it down. You can put it in the fridge for 20 mins and it will stiffen back up. I just put it in a warm place before I use it...it's all I use...but realize that it takes more practice than most icon_smile.gif HTH

I just did what the container told me toicon_smile.gif I never nuke my fondant. I think I'll just contunie to make my own

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 10

Chocopan is tricky but i've never micro it either. It sounds like you got it too hot. For me the taste is worth the extra effort

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 10

Yes, this happened to me over a year ago with the white chocolate. I was using it to cover a smash cake and I fell apart. I never bought the stuff again.

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by multilayered

Quote:
Originally Posted by anasazi17

I just did what the container told me toicon_smile.gif I never nuke my fondant. I think I'll just contunie to make my own

The container just has a caution that IF you are using a microwave to be cautious. In the actual step by step there isn't direction to put it in the microwave. I don't intend to be rude...it is just a great product by a really great bunch of folks.

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 10

i forgot to mention, I did NOT put it in the microwave.

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 10

I didn't have any success with Choco-Pan on its own, but I too love it mixed with Wilton or Satin Ice! It tastes good, rolls well, and is good for modeling - HTH

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:57am
post #10 of 10

I used chocolate Fondarific this weekend and you could roll and lift it no problem. The only thing I didn't like is the texture seemed rubbery. I did like that you didn't have to dust your work surface or as you said when you try to lift it the fondant falls apart that was a plus for me. I guess I just have to get past the rubber texture and it could be a great fondant. I do love the taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%