Need Help Quick...humidity And Fondant Trouble!! Cake Is Due

Decorating By mskavon Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm by noahsmummy

mskavon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskavon Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:49am
post #1 of 11

it's humid as ever and the fondant on the cake purse that i'm working on seems like it's melting! I don't know what to do! Please help! I'm tryin to handpaint the designs that the customer wants on the cake, but the fondant keeps "melting" or something.

The cake is due tomorrow (Sunday 6/13/10) at 4pm. should i start all over again??

Please help!!!

10 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:20am
post #2 of 11

maybe try and need some more sugar into the fondant to stifen it up a bit.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:20am
post #3 of 11

Do you have the air conditioner running? If not, turn it on to get some of the humidity out of the air. If you're running the dishwasher right now, the heat and steamy air that comes out of it could be causing the problem too.

What are you painting with? Is all of the fondant melting or just the area where the paint is going?

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:21am
post #4 of 11

The air conditioning needs to be on at all times incase of humidity. Ive also once used a hair dryer with ONLY the cold air option to dry off the cake and it worked ....

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:59am
post #5 of 11

Was your cake very cold or frozen when you put the fondant on?

mskavon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskavon Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:29am
post #6 of 11

i dont have AC. i know it sounds crazy but i never wanted Central Air. guess i better get it now lol. Thanks for your replies. i chucked the first cake and covered it again with a dark colored fondant. customer loved it! whew!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:12am
post #7 of 11

I feel your pain. I just don't know how much longer I can cake in the Summer without central air. It makes me feel like a failure even though I know it's the weather. I'm so glad you were able to work around it!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:46am
post #8 of 11

Even a room AC in the room you decorate cakes in will help. When I didn't have AC, I used a dehumidifier and it made the house much more comfortable, as well as making fondant behave better. I think a window AC would be cheaper than the dehumidifer was, maybe.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:37am
post #9 of 11

They now have those a/c units that are on wheels, you can move them from room to room, and don't have to mess with putting them into a window - you may want to check into one of those, if I didn't have a/c, that is what I would get....that way it can go where I need it! Glad it all worked out for you! icon_smile.gif

GrayGhost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrayGhost Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:02pm
post #10 of 11

The humidity is so awful to work with! I made a cake with a buttercream transfer and fondant accents yesterday and it was fine for an hour when I pulled it out of the fridge - and then all of a sudden the fondant pieces started dripping and the buttercream was sweating like mad. I hadn't had the a/c on. Turned it on and put a fan on the cake and had to scrape the dripping fondant off, but never was able to get the buttercream smooth again. The customer said she loved it - but I was so so upset. Learned my lesson - a/c a/c a/c!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #11 of 11

ohhh im stressing already for my sons 2nd bday.. its smack bang in the middle of our summer.. and i dont have a/c, my house is a little sauna, gets hotter inside than out... annd no way could i afford an a/c... was planning to re-attempt a tosy turvey too... now im thinking perhaps not.. haha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%