Gold Edging On Fondant

Decorating By stlcakelady Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 1:20pm by Marianna46

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 10

Crazy Cake Company has a beautiful cake (see link) with fondant ribbon and gold edging on the top and bottom of the ribbon. Any idea on how to paint this on without it being messy? Her's is soooo perfect.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazycakeco/3056826511/

9 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 10

Just use gold luster dust mixed to a paint consistancy with some clear alcohol...I use vodka but you can use clear vanilla as well.

stlcakelady Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 10

The materials aren't the issue. I'd like some tips on getting that edge clean without slopping the gold everywhere.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 10

I'm not sure there's a particular technique to it. A flat brush turned on its side might help. Other than that, I think it's more a question of a steady hand and a lot of practice. I'd love to find out there's a sure-fire way to do it with no mess. Anybody out there sell masking tape for fondant and gumpaste? LOL.

stlcakelady Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 10

That's exactly what I was thinking about the steady hand as well as the masking tape!!! LOL!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 10

A painting technique may help. If you have a straight edge (cake lifter, palette knife, whatever) that you use for cake, hold it where you need it and paint the line. Excess paint will go onto the straight edge instead of the cake.

This wouldn't work for me because I suck at painting small areas, but it may work for you. icon_biggrin.gif

stlcakelady Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 10

Cheatize...That's a great idea! Thanks so much. I'll try that.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 10

Try using a gold marker to draw the lines.

stlcakelady Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 10

Do they make gold markers? I've never seen a gold marker with edible gold. Where do you get them?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:20pm
post #10 of 10

Great idea, cheatize! I'm going to try that the next time I have to paint an edge. It certainly can't be any worse than the results I'm getting now-LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%