What Is The Difference B/w Rice Paper And Edible Paper?

Decorating By shannonlovebug Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 6:37pm by icingimages

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 14

I'm looking at getting a printer so I can make edible plaques and wondering what kind of paper I should get. If there is a difference can you explain what each is used for? Thanks!!!

13 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 14

Rice paper is like a communion wafer. It needs to be steamed in order to really curve it. It's on the thick side.

Icing sheets a/k/a edible "paper" is a thin sheet of icing that has a backing on it. Once printed, the image is peeled off of the backing and applied.

You can put either on a gum paste or fondant plaque. The icing sheet is thinner. Both can be drawn on with edible markers or icing colors.

HTH
Rae

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 14

So glad I found this, I was asking myself the same question yesterday. Can the rice paper be printed on in a edible image printer like the edible image paper? I was worried it would not be strong enough to stand up to the rollers in the printer. And i was wondering how I would apply it. Could i apply it with piping gel or glucose like I do the edible images?

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 14

I don't have an edible image printer, but I have read on here that people definitely do print rice paper on them.

Yes, a little piping gel or glucose should work fine.

The rice paper I have is pretty thick. I believe that you need a special type for use in a printer. The link below talks about it:

http://www.tastyfotoart.com/EdiblePaper.htm

HTH
Rae

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:46am
post #5 of 14

Is all rice paper the same? I saw some on clearance at Hobby Lobby today but it was labeled for artistic use and not food use. I wanted to get it but didn't know if all rice paper was the same.

BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Is all rice paper the same? I saw some on clearance at Hobby Lobby today but it was labeled for artistic use and not food use. I wanted to get it but didn't know if all rice paper was the same.

No, it isn't.

Some rice papers are handmade papers and the name refers more to the thinness and opaqueness of the paper. They can have fabric threads or other things in them. They're not edible.

Types edible rice paper can be found online (winbeckler.com and countrykitchensa.com carry it) and even my tiny cake deco store has it. Some of it--very thin and generally not white--can be bought at Asian markets.

Rae

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you! I'm glad now that I didn't buy yet another bargain that turned out to be not a bargain after all. Thanks again!

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks for the info!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:40am
post #9 of 14

Rice Paper can be printed on. Though edible, people generally do not like to eat it.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:45am
post #10 of 14

I just read about edible images on "wafer paper" in a new cookie book (says it is potato starch, water and vegetable oil)...does this work the same as rice paper? It probably tastes horrible too ?

dusty1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dusty1 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 14

Check out tastyphotoart.com

icingimages Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:45am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKristy

I just read about edible images on "wafer paper" in a new cookie book (says it is potato starch, water and vegetable oil)...does this work the same as rice paper? It probably tastes horrible too ?

That is a potatoe based paper. It is thicker, most people dont want to eat it as it doesnt taste that good and it is very very chewy. It is cheaper than a sugar sheet, but is yicky

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:43pm
post #13 of 14

I find that the edible paper taste like, and don't smack me, communion wafers.

icingimages Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:37pm
post #14 of 14

I agree... no smacks, but have you ever tried our Premium paper...its good. Our chocolate flavor is even better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%