Please I Desperately Need Help Asap!

Decorating By Marcelita Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm by tonedna

Marcelita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcelita Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 13

I decorated the cake last night and when I woke up this is what I found. Please tell me what to do! My cake is due in two hours. It is a crusting buttercream made with half shortening and half butter.

Thank you
LL

12 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 13

Try misting it with a tiny bit of water, waiting a couple of minutes and smoothing. If there's too much icing, you have to mist, wait a couple of minutes, scrape off the excess, let crust, and smooth.

Good luck! I had my own disaster this morning.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 13

Oh no...so sorry. I don't have any suggestions but wanted to show my support. If nothing else you can turn it to the back or add more flowers!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 13

if you haven't already misted it, i would first try either the viva paper towel method (can also be done with computer paper if you don't have any paper towels) or the Melvira method (using the high density roller) It will still have little cracks, but smoothing it back out should do the trick.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 13

I wouldn't mist with water. Like leily said I'd use the viva method to smooth it out. How thick is your cakeboard? It looks like your support may not be sturdy enough. Also how thick is your layer of icing? Looks like a very pretty cake BTW...

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 13

That is just an air bubble, take a toothpick make a hole so the air goes out and then with viva paper and a smoother or your hands push it back in place. Fill the hole with some buttercream.
Edna icon_smile.gif

vmpritchett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmpritchett Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 13

This just happened to me also. I popped it with a toothepick and added a little icing and smoothed the best I could. Why does this happen?? Twice now this happened to me. This time with cream cheese icing.

Marcelita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcelita Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:02am
post #8 of 13

Thanks to all for your great help. I decided to "pop" the air bubble with a toothpick but could not smooth it or add buttercream to conceal the error since I had decorations on top of some of the air bubbles. I just added more decorations to hide the error! The client was happy.

Again, thank you!

cheatize Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 2:25am
post #9 of 13

How do you smooth it once it's crusted? When I've tried that, it cracks that area and the area around it. That's why I suggested misting with water as it's what I have to do to uncrust (is that a word?) it so I can get it smooth again.

I'm not arguing, I'm trying to learn. icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:58am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

How do you smooth it once it's crusted? When I've tried that, it cracks that area and the area around it. That's why I suggested misting with water as it's what I have to do to uncrust (is that a word?) it so I can get it smooth again.

The viva method and the Melvira method (using a high density foam roller) are used on crusting buttercreams AFTER they have crusted (otherwise it would stick) both methods are in the articles area of CC.

tonedna Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:35am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I never added water to it to fix it but I wonder if it depends on the recipe. A recipe done with crisco might be drier than a recipe done with high ratio.
I am not sure...I know I never have to wet it
Edna

cheatize Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:44pm
post #12 of 13

Maybe my cake bubbles happen to long after crusting or my recipe crusts too much. I know that after a certain point, I can't touch it or the while area I touch will crack. If too much time lapses between smoothing after crusting and covering with fondant, I know I have to mist the cake or the fondant won't stick. I seem to have sorts of problems that no one else has. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm
post #13 of 13

I dont think there is nothing wrong with misitng it if it works for you, thats the beauty of cake decorating, you do what works for you.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%