Funny Stories - Looking Back

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 2:48am by Erin3085

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 7

I though this might be a good thread.

I haven't been doing cakes for too long but the first time I made a stacked cake, it was three tiers. I put all the cakes on top of each other THEN iced them. Hillarious. I had no idea you were supposed to ice each tier first then stack them together. It was a MESS.

6 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 7

That's how we all learn! icon_lol.gif

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 7

Yep....I did that too. I had no idea and I always wondered how people got them so smooth and without knife marks on the tops when icing the layer above!!! It took me FOREVER to get that dang thing iced half way decent!!! I guess that is what happens when you are self taught.

Another thing I did was not dowel it.....OOPS!!! Who knew you were supposed to use support systems...isn't the cake a solid layer????? UUUUGGGG!!!!!

Thanks for the thread, this one should be fun. icon_smile.gif

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 7

Yep. No cake boards, no support, I just put them all on top of each other and proceeded to ice.

I'm sure I can come up with more silly things I have done because there have been so many.

Also, I now only use plastic or metal measuring utensils because once I broke a glass measuring cup while making the most perfect batch of buttercream that ended up in the trash.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 7

That is funny....I can so see myself doing that. Maybe I will switch now that you mention that.

Another thing I did. I don't really like buttercream, I know, I know, but I don't. So I was making my first fondant covered cake and thought I would just used whipped topping(Frosting Pride), since that is what I was known for as my frosting. BIG MISTAKE!!! Talk about a goey mess when it was time to serve. Way too much moisture for the fondant. The fondant was like chewed up bubblegum that had been sitting in the sun for 3 hours. UCK!!!!

Thank God it was for family and close friends. I now use a crusting creamcheese frosting but am gonna give the buttercream another chance soon.

But I am learning new stuff with every cake, and that is the best part!!!!!

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:41am
post #6 of 7

I think this would be a great thread.

Heres One...

My first time using/making fondant decorations.

The cake was a last min thing for a cousin's graduation, I was asked to do it because her mom forgot to order it due to caring for our grandma during her final days.

They said just something simple, something choc. on choc., enough for about 20 people. Ok its noon now. On my mind was the much anticipated trip to Hobby Lobby, and start thinking, quick cake. First thing to cross my mind is "Easy enough, just write Congratulations Courtney on it" Then I decide that Ill whip up some MMF and make a diploma..

To start things off while I was half way through mixing up the batter and my mixer quit on me, and I had to run the DG and buy a new one.
I bake a 1/2 sheet, flipped it out on to a single cardboard cake board, and frost it with a choc frosting rec. I found on CC.

I got me some MMF now and I cut a square paper like shape and wrapped it around a small rolling pin my mother has. Well it kept falling off, sinking into its self. So I thought to myself just pop it in the oven, Its been off for a couple hours now. BIG MISTAKE... It melted along with some smaller ones I had made for the corners.
While I was in my room crying my mother accidently stuck her elbow in the cakeicon_cry.gif
I fixed the elbow damage, remade the decorations (in like 30 min) applied to the cake top, and then made the frosting for the writing (a white choc. buttercream).

I had never writing on a cake before, but it was BBBAAADDD! (I didn't think to take a picture).

When we go to take it to her house for the party it was to heavy for the cake board! You could see where it kinda cracked in the middle , I felt so horrible.

Since then I have learned so much, Like cakes just dont seem to travel well,proper support for my cake, practice makes perfect ect.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:48am
post #7 of 7

Oooo fun!

My very first "big" cake (to me) was my son's 3rd bday cake. Before this, I had only made the standard 2-layer, boxed mix, DH canned frosting family dinner cakes. I carved a spongebob shape out of some jellyrole pan layers, iced it in yellow bc and when it came time to do his clothes, I was so ill-prepared that I turned to sculpting them out of construction paper and scotch tape and sticking them to the buttercream. Everyone thought it was awesome, including myself at the time, but man now it looks pretty ridiculous! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%