6 Month Cake Ideas-Please Help

Decorating By sberryp Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 9:10am by ladycakes85

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #1 of 8

A friend of mine asked for me to make a cake for her granddaughter who is turning 6 months on Wednesday. She wants the cake to made out of butter cream and for me to use the colors pink and green. I want to make some shoes to go on top, but the customer didn't request for it. I just think that the shoes will make the cake look better. Any other ideas that I can do with buttercream? I am thinking about using fondant flowers on the cake with the little girls name on top. The problem that I am having is if I do the fondant decorations it is totally out of my pocket. Any ideas with butter cream? Hopes this makes sense and thanks.

7 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:23am
post #2 of 8

You could do pink buttercream with green buttercream circles like faux fondant circles. I wouldn't use fondant if she ask for buttercream. Especially since you will have to do fondant "out of pocket". I make a lot of cakes that could "look better" if I added this or that but unless the customer PAYS for the extras I don't add them on the cake.

I've never heard of a 6 months birthday cake icon_surprised.gif Kinda takes away from that important 1st birthday cake doesn't it? Am I the only one that thinks that a 6 month b.d. cake is odd?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:04am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I've never heard of a 6 months birthday cake icon_surprised.gif Kinda takes away from that important 1st birthday cake doesn't it? Am I the only one that thinks that a 6 month b.d. cake is odd?

Typically yes, but i think it would depend on the situation. I have a cousin who wasn't expected to live past 3 months (a 1/4 of her heart was missing when she was born) so we celebrated her 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year. Each one was a BIG milestone for her. Now after all these years she is 19, the dr's still don't know why she has lived this long (has a portion of her DNA missing too and the other 3 recorded cases those children didn't live past 5)

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:55am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:

Typically yes, but i think it would depend on the situation. I have a cousin who wasn't expected to live past 3 months (a 1/4 of her heart was missing when she was born) so we celebrated her 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year. Each one was a BIG milestone for her. Now after all these years she is 19, the dr's still don't know why she has lived this long (has a portion of her DNA missing too and the other 3 recorded cases those children didn't live past 5)

I was thinking it was odd too.. but then thought.. if someone was terminally ill.. either grandparent, child etc.. then i could see it. but with out extenuating circumstances.. yah..it is odd.

mamawrobin Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 7:08am
post #5 of 8

[quote="leily"]

Quote:

I can certainly understand celebrating EVERY one of those birthdays icon_smile.gif

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:05am
post #6 of 8

It's her first grandchild and the baby is six months now. How to you make the circles?

mamawrobin Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:47am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

It's her first grandchild and the baby is six months now. How to you make the circles?

I use to do a lot of those on cakes when I worked at the grocery store bakery. We didn't do fondant of course and some people didn't want a "kit" cake and that was an option that I offered. I tried to load a photo but I can't get it to upload from my phone. Anyway, I just pipe a "dab" of icing however large I want the "circle" to be and after it crust I go back and gently press it flat. I use the #12 Wilton tip. I've even used an open coupler but the tip allows more control for how large or small you want your circles to be.

ladycakes85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycakes85 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:10am
post #8 of 8

We do polka dots at work alot too, and the thing that we've found to make things so much easier is that after we make the dots, take a flower nail and cover the flat side with a cloth (we use heavy paper towels) and run hot water over it, then use that flat side to smash the dots done. This just allows you to get the flat look faster than waiting for the icing to crust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%