post #1 of 40

is called to order.
Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

39 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:33am
post #2 of 40

I have 5 wedding this weekend. One was elivered today, four wedding cakes plus 3 grooms' cakes for tomorrow. It's gonna be a long night.

2 wedding cakes and 1 grooms cake are done; 1, 5 tier is close and just started a four tier. Haven't started the two groom's cakes other than they are baked.

Did I predict a long night?

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #3 of 40

leah i do not know how in the world you do it!!!! i would drop dead. don't have the space either to do that many anywho. just 1 wedding cake for me. 3 tiers. first time using the cut corner pans. i had a terrible time getting my buttercream smooth and straight on all those corners icon_sad.gif and it's a naked cake, no decorations but piped pearl border. i am also going to try the SPS system for the first time and quite apprehensive. i am praying that it goes well. mostly worried about the bottom edge borders as they are supposed to be small.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:51am
post #4 of 40

Leah_s, the thought of all those cakes makes me nervous!!!

Only one cake this weekend for me! 2 tier Princess Birthday cake. Torted, filled, crumbcoated and left to settle overnight. Putting the fondant on tomorrow.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #5 of 40

2 tier Spongebob 1st Birthday Cake topped with a 3D Pineapple cake and 1 smash cake

Molly icon_smile.gif

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:57am
post #6 of 40

@cas17 - last weekend i did a 'naked' wedding cake too with ribbon border. u can do it! drove 30 miles with SPS stacked 3 tiers. i'm a leah success story icon_biggrin.gif

i only had 2 cakes and 3dz cuppies today cause i drove to orlando to be in a class with aine2. yeah!! so, i'm getting ready to go to bed but so excited.

@leah: you can whip those out in no time nowadays eh? i have a lot to learn from u!! thumbs_up.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:57am
post #7 of 40

Wow, Leah, you make me tired!LOL! I am thankful that my big weekend was last weekend since I strained a tendon in my side today. SIGH. I do have a cake this weekend. It's for my nephew who is off to bootcamp at the end of the month. We are having a huge family party for him on Sunday. So the cakes are in the freezer, fondant is made, buttercream made and all is ready for me to actually assemble it all tomorrow. Took a vicodin and wearing a warming pack and it's really helping..happy I don't have any more cakes this weekend.

OH! And I made my first anemone today for a wedding cake I'm doing next week! I think it turned out pretty good. SOOOO happy for the videos on youtube that walked me thru it! LOL! Now that it's done I'm really looking forward to doing the cake! (I'm still a lot green when it comes to gumpaste flowers so they intimidate me)

Glad to have you back but it sounds like you won't have much time to be on here till Monday!

Cat

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:57am
post #8 of 40

Nothing due for me this weekend. I'll probably work on some gumpaste flowers or something, stock up on those.
Did my first 3D cake this past week. Fortunately it was a simple design - boulder & rocks with a gumpaste sword. I was surprised at how easy it was, and I really like how it came out. icon_smile.gif Not sure that I have the sculpting skill to specialize in 3D cakes, but I feel good that I can at least do basic ones! icon_biggrin.gif

TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:02am
post #9 of 40

I am in the midst of the craziness and mild panic of my first topsy turvy cake (3 tiers). Wish me luck!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:02am
post #10 of 40

I just posted my day's labors - cupcakes for the World Cup kickoff and some hamburger and hot dog cookies for the June cookie club. I've never really done cookies before (and these are so weird they may not really qualify), but I had a good time doing them. Brainstorming for ideas for next week. I need a cake or something to celebrate my granddaughter's piano and voice recital (any suggestions? - I did a piano cake last time) and a Father's Day cake for my son-in-law. I'm trying to screw up the courage to make him a car cake - his favorite car is a vintage Mustang. I just downloaded a whole bunch of photos of '63 and '64 Mustangs, but I'm trembling in my boots. I thought I'd try it out, because in a few weeks I'm doing a highway patrol car for a customer, and I've never done a car before. Lordy, lordy, lordy. Actually, I'm sitting here feeling like a total fraud after reading your to-do list for tonight, leah. I can't believe you can get all that done in one night. But I especially can't believe you have time to do all that AND chair the Friday night cake club. My hat's off to you!!!

stacyllind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyllind Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:02am
post #11 of 40

Gosh I feel overwhelmed and I just have accent pieces I am working on tonight, I can't imagine having 5 wedding cakes for this weekend!!!!

I am a bit sad though, while at the store picking up some more ingredients for this coming week ( I have two birthdays in the family) I was asked by the cashier if I had a card she could give to her sister who is getting married. I had to politely turn her down and let her know that I am not licensed yet icon_cry.gif Someday I will be able to tell her," why, yes I do have a card!"

leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:04am
post #12 of 40

I put up an extra folding table in the kitchen to hold the cakes, and then just do one thing after another and another . . . I'm not quite sure how I scheduled 4 for tomorrow.

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:10am
post #13 of 40

hey ladies! got 2 graduation cakes done and delivered and working on a 10" round...just realized the order was supposed to be for a 10" square....greeeeeaaaaattt. emailing client now. i have extra cuppies, hopefully she'll be ok with it b/c i have no more strawberries! my kids ate them! oye!

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:13am
post #14 of 40

thanks sweettoothmom1! just mad that my icing had to give me trouble on THIS cake and not one that i have tons of decos on icon_sad.gif congrats on your aine2 class! wow that's awesome!

@resmiff2--good luck, you can do it!!

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:16am
post #15 of 40

Good evening ladies! I already finished a graduation cake and now I'm working on a toy story bday cake. Pretty easy weekend for me. Thank goodness! icon_biggrin.gif Good luck everyone!

.... Leah- you make me tired! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:17am
post #16 of 40

I have a laptop in the kitchen. It's how I stay in touch with the world.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:37am
post #17 of 40

I'm here too -- working on a 3 tier wedding cake and a 50th anniversary (butt-ugly) cake; and I have a batch of petit fours to make also. I have finished the grooms cake and 2 birthday cakes.

I have hired an 18 year old girl to help me and she has been a God send. She is extremely creative and doesn't get stressed or flustered - plus she is a perfectionist -- totally opposite of me! icon_lol.gif

But she is taking the dreaded ACT in the morning so she isn't helping out tonight and I am really missing her. Anything I ask her or show her to do she jumps right to it and gets it done. The first week she worked with me she did 95% of a stacked book grooms cake. Then when the brides father saw the cakes he wanted to know why there were a stack of books on the table where the grooms cake was suppose to be!! Then another man (former teacher) told me he almost picked them up to flip through them!
I still can't figure out how to reduce the size of my pictures but I will try to post it to my pictures if you want to see it. The only thing I did on the cakes is paint the titles on the spines - she is not confident of her printing yet.

I told her last week I know now how real decorators feel when they start on a 'prepped' cake!

Leah - you still make me tired! But it is the month for weddings!

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:40am
post #18 of 40

Hi. I'm checking in. I only have a two tier birthday cake with stars on wires. Yes I did use straws!icon_smile.gif But, my problem is that my straws keep falling of of the wires. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am extremely frustrated.

leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:53am
post #19 of 40

Your straws fall off of what?

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:30am
post #20 of 40

Hi All. I don't do cakes professionally but I am making a couple of cakes for my dil to take to her work for 2 baby showers. One girl, one boy. I have already made the cakes and they are in the freezer from the other night. I made one double batch of buttercream last night. Tonight I have been making the little first impression babies. They are really small and very cute. They come out of the freezer and get sticky very quickly. I have to let them get dry so I can highlight. I have one highlighted and one I will do tomorrow. I made a cloud for one of the babies to lay on and I am going to make a flower for the girl baby to lay on. I have all weekend to work on decorations. I will deliver the cakes on Wed morning to my dil's work on my way to my work.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:05am
post #21 of 40

Just finished a graduation cake and then started carving a dragon for tomorrow... Realized after carving the torso of the dragon that I didn't bake enough cake for the windy tail and the head so back to the kitchen to bake, cool, and then freeze so I can carve in the morning.

I'm finally winding down. It was a 4 cake week for me and that's 1 more than my comfort zone. Leah.... You are amazing! I can't even imagine having that many cakes! YIKES! You Rock!

Night ladies and happy caking!!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:24am
post #22 of 40

Just finished frying a batch of doughnuts for the Saturday Breakfast Meeting.
The house smells so good!

leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:39am
post #23 of 40

7, push one of those doughnuts thru the screen! Anybody still up?

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:45am
post #24 of 40

Yeah, I still up. I'm sorry, I meant that my stars keep falling off of the wires. I don't know how to keep them on. icon_smile.gif

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:23am
post #25 of 40

I'm still going too. I just scraped the buttercream off the top tier of the wedding cake - it kept bulging and sliding. I thinned the bc even more and am trying again. It's extremely humid, icky and sticky here -- which will continue through the wedding tomorrow which is OUTSIDE! --

I'm getting ready to start and blow through the petit fours . . .

On the stars - the best way to keep them on the wire is to make twice as many as you want and 'glue' them together with the wire in between, let dry flat and then put in the cake at the last moment.
HTH

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:24am
post #26 of 40

4 tier wedding cake, a 3-teir wedding cake with a razorback hog on a football field. Crumbcoating the 4 teir now (strawberry with cream cheese filling), thank God it's simple, smooth with a band of rhinestones and pearls, Due tomorrow at 4:00. Bows and plaques made for the other wedding cake. ears and pig tail drying..... LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGG NNNNIIIIGGGHHHTTTT indeed. Crap I still gotta do goal posts, gotta go and get busy icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:31am
post #27 of 40

hi all, yup still up.. just got home from work a little while ago, now reading posts, and drawing designs for another sweet 16 cake. cant decide on decorations.. so far it's tye-dye fondant, peace signs, the bright colored gerber daisys, and I am working on the top element. I am going to attempt to have a hand bursting through the top giving the peace sign. (although this teenager would pefer the good ole california wave, her mother veto'd that idea icon_lol.gif )

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:32am
post #28 of 40

I'm not working on any cakes, just experimenting with buttercream. I made my own butter from heavy cream, then made buttercream with it. Yum! I'm really happy with the result, but not so sure I'd do it on a regular basis just for cake. Extra steps and all. thumbs_up.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:47am
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqorso

I'm not working on any cakes, just experimenting with buttercream. I made my own butter from heavy cream, then made buttercream with it. Yum! I'm really happy with the result, but not so sure I'd do it on a regular basis just for cake. Extra steps and all. thumbs_up.gif

now that is cool. icon_cool.gif I canned 5 gal of stawberry jam, it made 60 jelly jars, last weekend and am doing blueberry jam next weekend (if blueberries are ready). and most of those will end up in cakes as filling.

how did you make your butter? I've heard of a blender method, but have no idea what it is.

leah_s Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 7:17am
post #30 of 40

ugh, one of my weddings tomorrow is outside. Out of all four, three have outside ceremonies, but one is a tent reception. What are brides thinking?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%