When Decorating Cookies With Fondant...

Baking By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm by JustABite

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 29

Hi all! I'd like to try decorating cookies with fondant. What do you use under the fondant to make it stick to the cookie? I usually use Toba Garrett's recipes; so I use her glace icing, which I love. Can I use the glace icing on the cookie, then just stick the fondant to that before it dries. Thanks so much!

28 replies
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 29

bump

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 29

I use thinned corn syrup to adhere the fondant to my cookies. This is after the cookies are cooled. Some folks precut their fondant and then put it on the cookie while it is hot, so it adheres without syrup.

HTH

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 29

I don't use anything. I'm one of the ones that puts it on the cookie right out of the oven thumbs_up.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 29

anyone else??

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 29

Ditto Mamarobin. I tried this for the first time a couple of months ago and it works like a dream. I even stamped an impression while it was still warm.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 29

I spray the cookie with a fine mist of water. The fondant sticks perfectly. All of the techniques work. I go for the cheapest and easiest so that I can spend my time decorating. Have fun.

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I don't use anything. I'm one of the ones that puts it on the cookie right out of the oven thumbs_up.gif

I tried this and they all popped off. I had to go back and use corn syrup on all of them. Do you happen to know why that happened?

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 29

Does anyone know if I'd be okay to put the fondant on top of the glaze icing?

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:46am
post #10 of 29

After giving other methods a try, corn syrup has been the best method for me.

TucsonGina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TucsonGina Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:06am
post #11 of 29

I use a small brush and use vanilla syrup from Starbuck's on the back of the fondant and put it on when the cookie is cold. Never had any problems.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:17pm
post #12 of 29

I too put the fondant on the "hot" cookies. It enables me to shape the fondant to match the cookie if the cookie has spread a little. You can also soften the edges of the fondant so it looks more like a glaze. Using too much of something under the fondant will cause some ridges and bumps in your finished product.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 29

I tried putting fondant on hot cookies and they just ended up popping off while decorating or bagging. When i use fondant, i use piping gel to adhere it to the cookie.
I agree with cookies4kids, I don't think glace would work under the fondant because it may dry bumpy or wavy and that will show through the fondant.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 29

luvs2bake---are you putting the fondant on the cookies the minute they come out of the oven? My stick like glue and there is no way they are coming off. I tried to do it your way and I have such a mess icon_sad.gif It's funny how different things work for different folks.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:05pm
post #15 of 29

Yes, the last time i tried this i put the fondant shapes on right when the cookies came out of the oven. They seemed pretty stuck at that point but when they cooled, off they popped!
It's funny and it's weird how we could be doing the same exact thing but have different results completely. Go figure.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:17pm
post #16 of 29

I have lots of cookies in my pix decorated with fondant. It's my preferred method of cookie decorating!! I use heated and strained preserves under the fondant (apply to the fondant, NOT the cookie itself) and it makes a very tasty glue. Piping gel works well too, but it's not as tasty. This picture I used heated and strained peach preserves. It was a nice backdrop to the vanilla cookie and vanilla satin ice fondant. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1269737

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:49pm
post #17 of 29

bobwonderbuns!!!! thanks for the preserves hint. I used piping gel & thought that it doesn't taste that fab....why am I using it? So, I'm onto to trying the corn syrup.

But...I will for sure try the preserves. That should boost the flavors & it's a neat sort of secret!!!

Oh - I've also applied to warm cookies. It works fine for me. icon_smile.gif

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:12pm
post #18 of 29

I have attached fondant to cookies by both piping gel and putting the fondant on the cookies right when they come out of the oven. I have never had a problem with either way.

Something to keep in mind...If you are going to use the hot out of the oven option do not try to put a design (like using an impression mat) on the fondant before you put it on the cookie. The fondant gets soft from the heat (it firms back up once cool) but any impression design will disappear during this process.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:01pm
post #19 of 29

I also put the fondant on right out of the oven. I gently push the fondant into place, making sure the fondant has good contact with the cookie. The first time I did this method, I experienced the pop-off, but once I started doing the gentle push-n-rub-into-place, I've not had any problems.

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:50pm
post #20 of 29

Count me in for someone who puts the fondant on right out of the oven - I also use an impression mat, but I haven't had the problem of the impression disappearing like cai0311. It works well for me.

The fondant seems to adhere fine with the impression intact. Sometimes one or two will loosen, but I use the strained peach preserves as per bobwonderbuns suggestion. (thanks bobwonderbuns!)

impala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
impala Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:17pm
post #21 of 29

I have done both right out of the oven or I brush water on the cookie and attach the fondant. Both ways work great it all depends if I have time to cut out the fondant before the cookies are coming out of the oven.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:36pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Ditto. I have always done it this way and never had a problem unless the cookies had cooled too much. I have my fondant already cut and ready to put on the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven.

shirleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shirleart Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:44pm
post #23 of 29

Whats the earliest time you can decorate fondant cookies before a wedding..Love these tips!
Thanks!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:24am
post #24 of 29

Decorate them up and stick in the freezer, they freeze beautifully with fondant. I have kept them up to three weeks.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:02pm
post #25 of 29

Used to use corn syrup, but after seeing a demo at ICES last year I now use a little smear of shortening. I'm too uncoordinated to do it right out of the oven...icon_smile.gif

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:22pm
post #26 of 29

Ditto-tyty and mamawrobin

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:53am
post #27 of 29

We use a smear of royal frosting and it worked well for us. Would be like the glace I would think.

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:43pm
post #28 of 29

My daughter's wedding is in 2 months and I will be making 200 cookie cakes(3 cookies each) as favors. I just want to double check with the experts on what I'm doing. I will be baking and freezing them with fondant (with strained peach preserves - thank you bobwonderbuns).

I will be baking them approx. 3 weeks ahead of time. Is that timeline good? Or can I possibly do it earlier?

Should I stack them side by side or on top of each other and layer them with wax paper? I've heard both ways.

As for defrosting: do I just take the containers out of the freezer and put them in the refrig or on the counter?

Thank you very much for your help everyone.

JustABite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustABite Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm
post #29 of 29

I went to the cupboard to get the peach preserves out and the honey caught my eye. Just popped a small bowl in the microwave and brushed on the cookies as I cut out. Worked wonderfully and really could not taste all out honey. I just like the idea of using honey over corn syrup.

I have to say with this being my first time covering cookies with fondant and I made my own mmf, I was very happy with the outcome.

My question.... I have not seen anyone else using honey. Is there a reason?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%