Cricut Cake Owners-Cartridges?

Decorating By AXOCutie143 Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 12:20pm by Karen421

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 15

Has anyone bought any cartridges for their Cake? The only ones I have right now are the Cake Basics and Elegant Cakes. I don't plan on buying a ton of cartridges because I use MTC and it is FABULOUS, but I was wondering if anyone had found any regular Cricut cartridges useful for their caking.

I've also thought about buying a paper cutting blade for my Cake and getting the cupcake wrappers cart, as that would be an easy way to jazz up cupcakes using my machine.

14 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 15

I want to repeat everything you said and keep watch on this. I just bought the Cricut cake and I only have the cake cartridge that came with it so far and was thinking about buying the same things (Tinkerbell cartridge, blade to cut paper with, etc.) along with the MTC.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 15

I got a bunch of cartridges as a gift from a friend who's cricut got broken and she decided she just didn't scrapbook enough to buy a new one...most of them are fonts and they have been great! So if I were to recommend just one I'd say to go and find a font you consider "all purpose" and buy that one. Look for sales...there are some good ones!

3Sisters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3Sisters Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 15

Where do you get the cupcake wrappers cartridge - also if you are looking for cartridges, check out www.cricutmachine.com. They have great sales all the time.

AXOCutie143 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 15

Cricut just came out with new Cricut Lite cartridges that you can only get at Wal Mart. They're cheaper then regular carts and they made one just for wrappers.

I really want to get that, Cindy Loo, and maybe Create a Critter.

TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 15

Just wondering what the difference is between the cricut cake and just the regular cricut?

AXOCutie143 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 15

I'm not a Cricut expert, but my understanding is that basically the Cricut Cake is a "food safe" version of the Cricut Expression, so it was created with the sole purpose of cutting edible materials.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOCutie143

I'm not a expert, but my understanding is that basically the Cake is a "food safe" version of the Expression, so it was created with the sole purpose of cutting edible materials.

The blade is al different. It doesnt get clogged up with whatever medium you are cutting ike the expression does. I have both and I had to clean the blade on the expression after each cut. I don't have to do that on the cake.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 15

I have the birthday cakes cartridge, and several other regular ones for the expression, they all work great!!!

AXOCutie143 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:50pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:

I'm not a expert, but my understanding is that basically the Cake is a "food safe" version of the Expression, so it was created with the sole purpose of cutting edible materials.

The blade is al different. It doesnt get clogged up with whatever medium you are cutting ike the expression does. I have both and I had to clean the blade on the expression after each cut. I don't have to do that on the cake.

tiggy, can I buy a paper blade and housing and use it in the Cake? I would really like to try out cutting cupcake wrappers too.

Karen, I don't know if I want the other two "Cake" cartridges. Are there any images specifically on the birthday cart you like?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 15

Yes you can.

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #12 of 15

Like you, I know that you can get carried away with all the cartridges that are available. I have the Cake Basics that came with the machine. I purchased Elegant Cakes and also Opposites Attract which is a font cartridge. I also have From my Kitchen, that has kitchen related characters. I think that covers anything I will need to do. The only other cartridge that I may purchase in the future is the one that has wedding characters. The best place that I have found with GREAT customer service,reasonable shipping & speedy delivery is the company Oh my Crafts. They even had a 20% dicount for memorial day. Check out their website.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:20am
post #13 of 15

I went out and bought new blades and paper cutting mats (way different from the cake mats) and change it all out when I'm cutting paper and then change it out again for cutting fondant. That way the food blade is always just used on food.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:48am
post #14 of 15

I do lots of kid birthdays so I got this one it has lots of cute images:

http://www.printblocks.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/create-a-critter-cartridge.jpg

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 12:20pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Quote:

tiggy, can I buy a paper blade and housing and use it in the Cake? I would really like to try out cutting cupcake wrappers too.

Karen, I don't know if I want the other two "Cake" cartridges. Are there any images specifically on the birthday cart you like?

My DD wants me to make the princess cake on the front of the cartridge box, for her step daughter next month. I have also used that cartridge to cut dinosaur cookies. I found brand new cartridges on ebay that are less than 1/2 price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%