How To Do I Make Shiny Fondant?

Decorating By sweeteats0919 Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 12:01pm by Karen421

sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:23am
post #1 of 21

I really need to know how to make my fondant shiny and keep it shiny. I am making jewelry for a cake and it has to have a shellacked looking finish. I know I have seen post about how to do this but I don't have time to look for them. Also I know i could paint the fondant with piping gel to achieve this look but Im looking for a less messy way to do it. Any advive would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

20 replies
tipsytaartje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tipsytaartje Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:36am
post #2 of 21

PME has a special kind of spray, it's called edible glaze spray. I think it's just what yyou are looking for.

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 21

Steaming it makes it shiny. You can hold it close to an iron that's steaming. I had some apples I wanted shiny, so I held them over a pot of boiling water - don't drop! It doesn't take long - a second or two. You don't want them to get slimy and unusable.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tipsytaartje Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjskid

Steaming it makes it shiny. You can hold it close to an iron that's steaming. I had some apples I wanted shiny, so I held them over a pot of boiling water - don't drop! It doesn't take long - a second or two. You don't want them to get slimy and unusable.

ow wow, that's a great idea with the iron!!!

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 21

hi, i use the 'crisco no-stick spray' - i used it on my handbag cake in my pics and thought it did quite a good job of making fondant shiny.
good luck

tipsytaartje Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 21

where did you buy the crisco-spray?

mamabaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabaer Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 21

I use light corn syrup and a little water and mix together well (you don't need much of either) and I paint it on with a brush. It dries and is super shiny.

I do this as opposed to the steaming. When you steam it it tends to make the fondant sticky. Plus, it's hard to uniformly get large areas the same shininess with the iron (which is all I have)

Be careful though...too much water in it and it will make your fondant soft and you will loose your shape. I used this on my jungle animals cake and you can see how it turned out
LL

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 21

i bought the spray at a store in the hague (this store stocks some american and british products). i don't know where you are located but pm me if you want more details. if you're really far away i'd be happy to buy and mail it you...

neecies_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecies_sweets Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 21

mamabear, i like the corn syrup idea-- but does it leave your work sticky/gummy at all? tia!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:33am
post #11 of 21

instead of water use vodka for mixing with the corn syrup, it will dry faster.

ggmom5103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ggmom5103 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:06am
post #12 of 21

what kind of foudant do you make

BlessP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlessP Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:35am
post #13 of 21

I microwave crisco till it becomes waterry and brush the fondant with it. You would have to keep re heating the crisco though because it will turn hard again.

Abbiedal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abbiedal Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:13am
post #14 of 21

do these methods work on gumpaste too? I have black gumpaste and I really dislike the way it dried out and looks dull!!!!!!

mamabaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabaer Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:39pm
post #15 of 21

after it dries completely it's not sticky. vodka is a good idea...or almond extract would work too.

neecies_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecies_sweets Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 7:58pm
post #16 of 21

mamabaer, i tried your corn syrup water trick this past weekend and it worked very nicely! i was a little timid but next time i will try the vodka and a little more confidence! thanks for the tip icon_smile.gif

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #17 of 21

I use PAM but I like the idea of the corn syrup... Next cake, I will try.

I tried the confectioners glaze on the "pool" cake I did...but it discolored the white areas of the fondant and the shine didn't last long, at all. Also...if you use confectioners glaze, use a disposable nylon brush. I ruined one of my good brushes. No matter what, I couldn't wash that glaze out.

Karen421 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:21am
post #18 of 21

I really like vodka because it dries much quicker than water. icon_biggrin.gif

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:44am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

instead of water use vodka for mixing with the corn syrup, it will dry faster.

Ditto... this is what I did on the black baby sneakers on my "Anna" cake. icon_biggrin.gif They were dry within an hour. Thin the corn syrup just so it lightly coats a paint brush when dipped in, not too globby, not too watery.

sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:08am
post #20 of 21

Thanks for your replies. I ended up using confectioners glaze. wow that stuff is sticky and you dont want to get it on your hands. Anyway I used it on my jewelry cake that is in my photos. I really wanted the jewelry to look real and I think that the shiny effect achieved that.

Karen421 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:01pm
post #21 of 21

Your cake came out fantastic! You achieved that realist look! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%