Orange Flavored Filling And/or Icing?

Decorating By rharris524 Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 11:39am by rharris524

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:02am
post #1 of 17

My DD wanted an orange cake. My plan was to do an orange flavored cake with CC icing but after the cake was baked, I tasted the scrap and it is barely orange flavored (I did a wasc variation). So now, I think that if I do some sort of orange filling it will be ok but I don't want a 'fake' orange flavor. Any ideas? I figure if all else fails that I'll just do orange BC but it's not really what i had in mind.

16 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:18am
post #2 of 17

The flavor in my WASC's tend to develop over time. My orange is much more "orangey" the next day. Have your tried orange oil in your frosting. You could mix it with some well-drained mandarin oranges for a filling.

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:58am
post #3 of 17

I haven't made the cake, but the icing on this recipe is really good!
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1611/orange-creamsicle-cake-and-frosting

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:16am
post #4 of 17

My orange cake is really "orangey" icon_lol.gif But like cheatize said the flavor develops over time. I use orange soda, orange sherbert, orange yogurt, and orange flavoring in my orange cake.

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:36am
post #5 of 17

I use orange oil (a little goes a looooong way) and some real orange pulp concentrate. It also gives a very fresh flavour comapared to using essence. HTH

chococherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chococherry Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 17

I don't have experience with orange cake, but i would suggest an orange curd for the filling. I've not made orange curd, but I do make a pineapple curd which is really yummy, there is no reason why oranges wouldn't work as well as lemon.

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris524

My DD wanted an orange cake. My plan was to do an orange flavored cake with CC icing but after the cake was baked, I tasted the scrap and it is barely orange flavored (I did a wasc variation). So now, I think that if I do some sort of orange filling it will be ok but I don't want a 'fake' orange flavor. Any ideas? I figure if all else fails that I'll just do orange BC but it's not really what i had in mind.

I have always made my orange buttercream by using the juice from a freshly squeezed orange and grating the rind of the orange into it also. This is definatley not a 'fake' flavour and tastes soooo nice. HTH icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 17

For levels of oranginess(?)...alternate your orange layers with orange curd, and orange curd mixed with bettercreme or whipped cream then iced in vanilla buttercream (if you really gotta have it orange, add some zest in it if possible)

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=398021

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 17

I would make a syrup using orange juice and zest. You could also make a glaze using juice and zest. The zest will give it that citrus punch that people respond to.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

My orange cake is really "orangey" icon_lol.gif But like cheatize said the flavor develops over time. I use orange soda, orange sherbert, orange yogurt, and orange flavoring in my orange cake.

I too use this in my orange cake and it is to die for!!! It is even better the second day icon_lol.gif

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 10:12pm
post #11 of 17

Try this Orange Filling

1 cup Sugar
1 cup Orange Juice
1/4 cup Cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Orange Peel
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice

Mix sugar, cornstarch & salt in a saucepan. Slowly stir in orange juice. Bring to a boil for 2-4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and orange peel. Gradually add lemon juice. Stir until well mixed.

Cool completely before filling cake.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 17

orange smbc and orange curd mixed is delicious. Or orange imbc and orange curd. Using all fresh fruit juice and grated rind in the curds. i use the orange oil in the smbc or imbc.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 10:32pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chococherry

I don't have experience with orange cake, but i would suggest an orange curd for the filling. I've not made orange curd, but I do make a pineapple curd which is really yummy, there is no reason why oranges wouldn't work as well as lemon.

In the Cake Bible it says that orange juice is not sufficiently tart or acidic to make a really firm curd the same way lemons or limes do so that orange curd will always be a little bit looser and more liquid than lemon or lime curd. Just a thought if a looser filling would compromise the structural integrity of your cake.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:58am
post #14 of 17

I've used orange flavored Jello in my buttercream....VERY orangey flavor.

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #15 of 17

CK Icing Fruits adds a ton of flavor to my buttercream. I was unsure before I used them the first time, but now I use all the flavors. Super easy to use. HTH icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chococherry

In the Cake Bible it says that orange juice is not sufficiently tart or acidic to make a really firm curd the same way lemons or limes do so that orange curd will always be a little bit looser and more liquid than lemon or lime curd. Just a thought if a looser filling would compromise the structural integrity of your cake.

But, if spread thinly, can add just enough POW! without compromising the construction of the cake....

cake(split layer), curd, cake, mousse type filling, cake, curd, cake, all-over icing....or split the layers into thirds for cake, curd, cake, mousse, cake, buttercream, cake, mousse, cake, curd, cake, all-over icing.

even a smearing of marmalade would add some zing to it if not the curd.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 11:39am
post #17 of 17

Thanks everyone! I ended up making orange buttercream (with orange extract and orange juice) as my filling and vanilla buttercream for the icing. I'd probably have liked the orange curd idea had I seen it in time icon_sad.gif Maybe next time. The cake was very good adn definitely 'orange' though I think that I slightly overdid the extract in the buttercream trying to get the level of orange I wanted and it was a little alcoholy...no one else noticed it but I'm preggo and perhaps my taste buds are a bit hypersensitive. Anyhow, my daughter liked it and it was for her so I guess that is what matters

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%