How Do You ...pet Peeve

Decorating By KawaiiCakeCook Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 10:50pm by sweetflowers

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:53am
post #31 of 66

Ha! Every once in awhile I will see an awesome cake in the gallery and then notice 20 requests for a tutorial in the comments. Not a single "beautiful cake", just gimme gimme gimme. Sometimes I feel like posting "are you people serious?" in the comments! icon_smile.gif How about some specific questions about the cake possibly?

It's kind of like my pet peeve - when I take a cake to a party, inevitably people will ask me "How did you make that?" How the heck do you answer that? Do you want the short story or the long story? Or they will ask me "How do you use that fondant stuff?" Again, the short or the long story? icon_smile.gif

Harper77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harper77 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:18am
post #32 of 66

This is my first post on this forum and I just had to reply because the exact same thought has gone through my head so many times over the past few months. I am completely new to cakes and decorating but I have been reading and reading these forums for about 6 months with such joy and interest at the amazing skills to be learned. What an exciting journey I have in front of me.

I really feel for those of you with so many years of practice, experience, successes and failures that someone will not give you the respect of at least spending some time to read before asking a question that has been asked so many times before. There is such a wealth of information here if people just take the time.

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 5:16am
post #33 of 66

Well we recently moved, and for that reason I haven't done a cake in over 6 months. I traded in my spatulas, for trowels, and my fondant for grout. But I did a quick cake today and had the itch to hop on here and review.
I do love when a post of something petty(me moaning and groaning about something) turns into a real discussion. I substitute teach and let me tell you I worry for the future of our country. The laziness of the students is unbelievable, and the attitudes, are you kidding me? I don't have kids so I'm NOT about to get on a soap box, but it seems to me that we need to remind children that school is for learning and learning can be hard. It isn't always easy and sometimes you have to buckle down and TRY.
I continue to get requests on how to do the iron man cake(seriously not kidding), and it is one of the only cakes I get requests for, think of that what you will. But it has died down and I'm ready to get back on CC, much to my husbands regret(as I'm typing this on v-day this should show all my renewed commitment to cc icon_smile.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 7:29am
post #34 of 66

You are probably getting all of those requests for instructions by people that have found your cake from a google image search. If you search iron man cake, your cake is the second one to come up. People click on it, then Caken Central requires them to sign up for an account to see it, then they ask for the instructions. They probably neveer visit Cake Central again, let alone visit the forums to look for additional info. It's unfortunate for them; the is so much awesome info here!
Sorry you keep getting bothered by people.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:30pm
post #35 of 66

While I agree with you ladies, you might want to look at it in the way that your cake is so impressive, someone wants to copy it. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. icon_wink.gif

Yes, it's annoying, especially since 9 out of 10 times the person who copies doesn't even acknowledge the creator. I'd be flattered if someone asked me however, I imagine it gets old fast when all people do is ask ask ask.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:32pm
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiCakeCook

I do love when a post of something petty(me moaning and groaning about something) turns into a real discussion. I substitute teach and let me tell you I worry for the future of our country. The laziness of the students is unbelievable, and the attitudes, are you kidding me? I don't have kids so I'm NOT about to get on a soap box, but it seems to me that we need to remind children that school is for learning and learning can be hard. It isn't always easy and sometimes you have to buckle down and TRY.

You are preachin' to the choir with this one. I get on my soapbox all the time about the Me generation. The generation of entitlement. These kids are in for a hard life because no one ever told them that 1) we will fail at some point and 2) you don't get everything handed to you.

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:30pm
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker

You are probably getting all of those requests for instructions by people that have found your cake from a google image search. If you search iron man cake, your cake is the second one to come up. People click on it, then Caken Central requires them to sign up for an account to see it, then they ask for the instructions. They probably neveer visit Cake Central again, let alone visit the forums to look for additional info. It's unfortunate for them; the is so much awesome info here!
Sorry you keep getting bothered by people.

Oh, if that is the answer I would be so relieved. Than god for logical people such as yourself, you and my husband keep me from tilting at too many windmills.

As to the "me" generation it amazes me how easy school work has become, I rubbed for a history class and the teacher had put on the question sheet the exact page each answer was on......are you kidding me? Good luck to these kids in the real world

IcingTops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcingTops Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 4:08pm
post #38 of 66

I have not posted many pics on CC but out of the couple of requests I got for 'tutorials', one was so rude, it just annoyed me no end. Her/his 'demand' went like this - "was the tutorial ever printed ?? I had something I made and someone else wanted tgo know. I'd explain in a heartbeat. Thats what these sites r for for ppl who love to decorate and learn to get info from others.....".

Could not believe the gall of this person who thinks I either jump on CC every minute of my day and can just stop everything and create/send tutorials out as soon as she demands for one. I sent out tips on how to get to the tutorial for the other person who at least asked politely but I pm'd it to her rather than responding on CC. I agree with everyone else who gets annoying demands like this, just don't waste your time responding.

I have a colleague who will send emails with no greeting whatsoever, he will just start of with whatever he is requesting for. It is not an age thing in this case as he is well past middle age and a grandfather. It took a bit of adjusting to this type of abruptness. Not my cup of tea. Not saying I want gushing greetings with every email, but at least a hi or something. Too weird.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 4:59pm
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcingTops

...It is not an age thing in this case as he is well past middle age and a grandfather. ...

I don't think it's an age/generational thing either. I know just as many folks who are as gracious and polite as can be as folks who are gruff, demanding and entitled, no matter their age.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:14pm
post #40 of 66

I have to admit, I get the same types of request. Most are very nice, and I certainly don't need anyone to give me warm fuzzies, just a polite request. But I get 'demands' and no courtesy of a thank you from the majority. It's frustrating. For those that do thank me though it feels very good.

With my last post for my bubbles, I have to tell you, I spent DAYS figuring out how to do those original bubbles (last July), testing, trying, retesting. And it's not like I have a lot of free time (I had 4 jobs at the time), and I had literally hundreds of people ask how to do it. I then spent another couple days creating the picture tutorial, editing, etc.. And I know it's wrong of me, but I get the impression not only does everyone want it NOW, but they feel entitled to it. I think it's the entitlement that gets me, they want it now, and they shouldn't have to pay for any sort of cake instruction. There is another thread on that too, paying for classes, books and such. I think all the you-tubes, blogs and CC type forums have contributed to the 'we shouldn't have to pay for this and should get it now' attitude. Just like giving your kids everything they want when they want it, I think we've created our own spoiled cake decorators.

And I just want to make it clear, I don't expect to get paid for my tutorial either (although the company i work for does get paid for their video), I just would like some courtesy for my hard work.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:38pm
post #41 of 66

This has always bugged me as well. I see 10 different people asking for a tutorial! Half the time I can't remember how I did everything just work as I go, I can't imagine someone emailing complete instructions. I will admit I do ask questions on specific details on certain cakes, but some people ask the same question over and over but there was an answer given 10 posts ago! Just read the whole thing, it takes 30 seconds! Anyways...no one has ever asked me for a tutorial just seen it on others. Thanks for the chance to rant as well!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:54pm
post #42 of 66

It's called a Stalker

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:00pm
post #43 of 66

Interesting. I'm suprised people still ask questions on this website. There is no excuse for rudeness, either way. The more I read the forums the less I am on the webiste. For over a year I quit reading them, I just started again (I shouldn't of). No matter what you do, it is never right. You asked wrong, you answered wrong, you left a "cliche" comment, you mispelled a word......
This website is not the easist to navigate. I have lots of problems searching for topics-I get mostly unrelated ones that pop up. Sometimes it's easier to ask someone. Does that make me lazy? I like to learn from someone who has accomplished a great cake. If they don't respond use another resource. I never thought it would offend people. If someone doesn't respond-I let it go. They are busy, don't want to share or can't remember how they did it. Demanding someone to help you is absurd. Move on ...figure it out or don't do it......I thought this was a place where questions could be asked and we learn from each other. When I first joined there was a lady-JanH-she would always help answer redundant questions and send links to dozens of threads if you were having difficulty. It was a nice thing for her to do. She didn't complain that you asked the same question that 200 other people had asked. She just posted links to the topics. Then people complained about that...
Why do people post cakes here if they don't want to deal with inquiries about methods and the tools they use? I thought this was a place of sharing and learning from each other. icon_sad.gif

sweetflowers Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 9:47pm
post #44 of 66

quote "Why do people post cakes here if they don't want to deal with inquiries about methods and the tools they use? I thought this was a place of sharing and learning from each other"

Maybe people post just because they want to show their work? Maybe they post so they have someplace to put pictures so their relatives that live in another country can see their work, who knows? I'm not saying the inquiries are bothering me, or the multiple questions, I am here to share and learn. I'm only saying some members can be very rude and demanding in their inquiries. Plus, they are demanding full blown tutorials, not just a quick method, cake size or tool. Even that doesn't bother me too much, what I'm venting about is it is done in such a disrespectful manner. And I'm not saying that all members are doing it, just the 10% of inquiries I get. It's just a small peeve, nothing serious.

To post on this site does not require you share or teach, but some members are assuming it is, when really it's just an added benefit.

JanH is still here as a moderator I believe and still very helpful.

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:40pm
post #45 of 66

it is, as me a specific question, let me know you've tried on your own first. For example I keep trying to make alton browns butter cream, get everything right but on step 4 when I add the butter it turns to soup, any advice. Don't pm and say how do you make buttercream.

by the way I really can't figure out alton's butter cream, anyone got an answer?

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 11:24pm
post #46 of 66

sweetflowers:
"Maybe people post just because they want to show their work? Maybe they post so they have someplace to put pictures so their relatives that live in another country can see their work, who knows?"

To me, I would think Facebook or flicker would work better just to have an album to show people. That way you don't have to deal with inquiries from others.

"I'm only saying some members can be very rude and demanding in their inquiries. Plus, they are demanding full blown tutorials, not just a quick method, cake size or tool. Even that doesn't bother me too much, what I'm venting about is it is done in such a disrespectful manner."

I don't agree with demanding anything from anyone. I do believe there needs to be respect both ways. You seem like a very sweet person. I looked at your website the other day after seeing your cake with gelatin bubbles. You are very kind to share your knowledge with clueless people like me!

"To post on this site does not require you share or teach, but some members are assuming it is, when really it's just an added benefit."

True, I guess I always thought that a forum on specific hobbies, topics were somewhere you learned from each other. Others wise you wouldn't be a member.
Have a wonderful day!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 11:28pm
post #47 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I do understand what you're saying. When I'm making a new cake that's at all complicated, I live with it in my head for enormous amounts of time...trying to figure this out and that out...and how do I accomplish this without compromising that...going through the process and steps in my head over and over. I actually make the cake in my head many, many times before I even open the oven door.

This is how I learn. And I always wonder why others don't want to do the same thing. It seems to me to be a really shallow hobby if you're not going through this process yourself. It's where all the satisfaction of creation comes from. It's why, when I set the finished cake down before myself and gaze upon it, knowing that I turned what is essentially dust ( flour and sugar ) into what I see before me. It feels a little bit like being God.

And then, after all that, someone comes along and says, "tell me how you did all that so I can do it." I want to say, "No. Figuring it out is part of it. Go ahead on your own and come back and show us what you can do."

But I realize everyone is not in it for the same thing. So I help when I can. But I'm more apt to help someone who is trying to figure it out and needs assistance doing that, than someone who just wants an instruction sheet so they don't have to bother thinking about it.

SO true!

Another type of question on here that completely baffles me is when people ask really broad, unanswerable things like "How do you know what frosting & cake flavours taste good together? or How do you know what decorations/colours look good together on a cake? or How do you learn how to be creative? These types of questions just strike me as absurd.

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 11:52pm
post #48 of 66

i have been a member for a little over a year now. i think it is generous of people when they share techniques or post tutorials and are in general helpful. if it were not for this site, i would not know half of what i know about cakes. i read everything i can get my hands on to understand how to do things. i also understand when someone does not want to share how they do something because it has taken much of their time and im sure a lot of trial and error. i absolutely agree that a person does not have the right to demand you tell them anything. on the other hand, i dont think it is wrong to ask a question in the forums. i thought that is what it was created for. if someone chooses to share, great. if not, fine too. just this morning i asked a "how to" question and a few ppl were kind enough to answer. i dont think there is anything wrong with that. personally, i will think twice now about asking anything on this site. lately there has been so much negativity floating around this site and its a little sad.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:31am
post #49 of 66

jade8, I'm betting the difference is that you "asked" about a technique and didn't just go in and demand an explanation, answer, instruction.

sweetflowers Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:28am
post #50 of 66

I think that is the entire point, it's how you ask. I am very willing to share all I know, and I love to do it, as Deanna (dabear) states, it's why I'm on the forum, to either learn or share. I just don't know if that is why the other members are here. And yes, jade, it's never wrong to ask and I would never jump on someone for asking. You just have to be so careful with the written word, it can be taken so many different ways so I always re-read! I think that's were a lot of posts go wrong.

Oh, and i have to tell you... facebook baffles me, I do have some pic on it, only just recently, but I'm completely clueless about how it works. This is much more user friendly, and the way I could get pics up for my friends across the country for many years before fb.

You all have a great night...I'm going to try to think up more projects icon_smile.gif

[/b]

Ashley0415 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashley0415 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:50am
post #51 of 66

oh boy.. I hope Im not an offender here.. I think I usually just post a pic of what my goal is and ask specific questions.. I know a lot of you specifically who commented on this have helped me with questions. So thank you all!! I hope Ive never been rude. lol.

Sometimes I just have a hard time seeing the easy solution and thinking out of the box..

Ninky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninky Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:47am
post #52 of 66

As a total newbie, terrified and proud to be trying to make her daughters wedding cake, I would also like to say thanks. I guess I can understand how you guys feel. I make hats, and I get real grumpy if someone picks my brain, then turns up almost the same one.
Still I also think that there are people on here from all over the world and in my part of the planet there are almost no cake decorating classes. Also there are very few stores that sell the products and they are getting less as more people buy on line. You wonderful girls and guys have a skill, an art form your keeping alive for the future generations and that so important, thanks for sharing.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:06am
post #53 of 66

I really try not to ask ...(almost afraid to ask) I search YouTube, Google and other places for answers ... & as a last resort I send a DM to ask a specific question.

I guess I think of cakes as people's masterpieces work of arts...so I know people hold them near & dear to their hearts. If I see a cake that I really like I try to make it myself but with my own personal touch. And I think that's the best way to learn is my trail & error. But I will say that when I do ask a question people are really kind & do help. & I actually feel honored when people reply because I know everyone is busy.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 6:39am
post #54 of 66

"was the tutorial ever printed ?? I had something I made and someone else wanted tgo know. I'd explain in a heartbeat. Thats what these sites r for for ppl who love to decorate and learn to get info from others....."

I believe this is the comment to which icingtops referred.

This user has one picture posted and has made 2 posts. It was difficult for me not to comment on that one picture making an equally rude demand. The expectation of instant satisfaction is ridiculous. Additionally, if ya really wanna know, why don't you research it? I can find about 90% of what I want to know in life with a simple internet search. Too lazy? Left it to the last minute? Sorry, I feel bad for you. However, it is not my job in life to fix your self-inflicted problems. It's a FAVOR if I help you.

I rarely understand it when a poster says they are scared to ask questions or criticizes people for pointing out rudeness/common courtesy. Sure there are a few topics around here that get heated. I read them for fun. Other than those few topics, it's generally a helpful place.

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:06pm
post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiCakeCook

by the way I really can't figure out alton's butter cream, anyone got an answer?

Kawaii, I found it very helpful to watch Alton make it. Here is a link to it:

HTH
icon_biggrin.gif

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:57pm
post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I rarely understand it when a poster says they are scared to ask questions

Cheatize not all on here are nice and respectful...when I first set up my account I had a question on setting up a feature & didn't know where to get the answer...I saw it was set up on another persons profile & asked if they could direct me where to go to find out how to set this feature up...the response I got back was anything but nice or respectful. To avoid that happening again I wait to ask... asking is the very last resort.

sweetflowers Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:29pm
post #57 of 66

It is hard with so many different personalities. But I think on the whole, the members will answer any question nicely if it's 'asked' and not 'demanded'. Again, it's tough with the written word. I have to say, the percentage of rude demands is very low, like 5%, but you know it's makes all of us a little gun shy. I, myself, try not to ask anything in a pm unless I have been directed to, but that's just me.

sweetflowers Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:31pm
post #58 of 66

double post icon_sad.gif

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 6:06pm
post #59 of 66

In my defense, i am new to the whole cake making world and sometimes I dont like to ask questions cuz i feel it can get annoying so i just google it BUT sometimes google isnt helpful...
when i do deside to write a forum i notice alot of the time its the same people who answer..(indydebi ur one of the ppl that always helps thanks ur great) Just resently i made a forum with 10 basic questions ive always wanted to ask but didnt dare just cuz i knew some people would think lord those questions are so self explanatory, she shouldnt be doing cake if she cant fig that out but to my surprise even when people are annyoed they still help.. he he he.. thanks guys

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 7:11pm
post #60 of 66

I have always appreciated the help that more experienced decorators provide. Its why I love this site so much! I have learned tons just by reading. I too think that you if you are asking someone for help or information, you need to show respect, which in my book includes complimenting their work. Obviously you must like it, or you wouldnt have asked for help! And if someone doesnt response to your request, eh, so be it. I recently, very politely asked two different decorators what color blue they used on their cakes I admired. Well, neither responded. Big deal... if I really want to know I will figure it out myself. lol. There is no reason to harrass someone who does not want, or doesnt have the time to respond. There arent any "rights" here. But there are many "gifts" and generous "gifters" that we can be appreciative of. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%