Suggestions On How To Organize A Small "kitchen".

Business By Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 8:49pm by Annso

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 26

Plans are underway to renovate an outdoor kitchen and I am boxing things away for a few weeks. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to organize items or ingredients to make things run smoothly. Also I have pans that were my mom's that are rusting but have no scratches and have been in cabinets for years. Should I chunk them or save them and how can I prevent this from happening again? Thanks in advance for all comments.

25 replies
Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 26

That was way too vague. What I meant was, how do I organize things when I move them into the new outdoor kitchen? Any gadgets, storage containers or appliances that make your cake business easier? I should add that I am in love with Cake Boss. It takes time to set up but it's a lifesaver for!!! (For me at least)

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 26

scrub the pans to remove the rust, grease them with crisco to keep from rusting, or you can season the pans like you do with bread baking tray, iron skillets. etc.

as for organizing. I have stacked plastic bins that is large enough to hold all my cake boards, separator plates etc, they are on casters so that I can roll them where I need them, so you dont have to keep going across the room to get them.

I also have lots of smaller plastic bins with dividers for all my colors, dust, all the utensils, etc. I decided to use plastic so that I can periodically run them through the dishwasher and sterilize them. because they will eventually get grease, icing, batter on them, despite wiping them down.

congrats on the new kitchen!! thumbs_up.gif

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 26

I suggest plastic containers and shelves. I have 3 plastic shelf units that are approximately 4' tall and 2' wide with shelves that are about 1' deep. I have a dozen shoe box size containers. I would not survive otherwise, we moved from a fabulous home with no yard or outdoor space to a tiny house with a poorly designed kitchen. Luckily we have a huge shed behind the house for my husband so the attached garage has become my second kitchen. I'm only a hand wash sink away from being a commercial kitchen, complete with a commercial stove that my husband salvaged from an old restuarant. Thank goodness he's an electrician!

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:18am
post #5 of 26

If you spend a lot of time in Michaels, maybe you've seen the scrapbook storage cubes.. I love them! I stack them 3 high and then sit my pan organizers on top of them. They are $34.99 each here but I always use a coupon or wait until they are 40% off and buy one at a time. They come in several different designs, some with shelves, some have drawers, some have both! I was amazed at how much stuff I could store in them and they look very tidy. The drawers are a great way to organize cookie cutters and you can stack them 4-5 high if you need to..

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 26

A SS rolling shelf unit is invaluable. Be sure to look for the kind that have "rods?" instead of solid shelves. Way easier to clean.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 26

I can never get all the rust off by scrubbing, so here's an easy, non-toxic rust remover.... sprinkle salt on the rust, squeeze lime juice on the rust, and salt until everything is saturated, wait 2-3 hours then use the leftover lime rind to scrub it off.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 26

Besides cake boss which I couldn't operate without..........something that I got a few months ago that saves me ENORMOUS amounts of time when decorating is a hardware cabinet. I keep all of my tips, colors, luster dust, pearls, etc. in the little drawers which I wrote on so I know at a glance what's in them........it makes my life SO MUCH easier.

looks something like this

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/graphics/04-01467.jpg

Also the rubbermaid wheeled carts, perfect for organizing cookie cutters, I have mine in there separated by design/season and it's so easy to just grab a drawer our and carry it over to the counter instead of standing there going through it.

DanaMae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaMae Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 26

Love that hardware cabinet KHalstead. I believe that will be my next purchase. I bought my home-based kitchen from a friend and it is being delivered on Wednesday (it's one of those storage-type buildings you can buy at Lowe's already converted to a commercial style kitchen)...I'm so excited! Can't wait to start organizing it and getting it ready for inspection...getting very close to being legal so I can actually start selling. Woot Woot.

Congrats Jolis_Gateaux-2009 on your kitchen renovation. I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:32pm
post #10 of 26

Thank you all for the tips!!!! I am drafting and redrafting; searching for the items; thinking color schemes.....I don't think I have had this much fun ever!!! (Well maybe once or twice icon_wink.gif

MiniCuppie, What is SS stand for? I am sure it's super easy but I can't figure it out.

Thanks again and please keep them coming!

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 26

Congrats Dana!!!!
I thought about those but booting my husband out of his "shed/outdoor kitchen" has been so much more fun! LOL!!!!

KHalstead Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 26

I'm guessing SS is Stainless Steel!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 26

Yes, SS stands for stainless steel, but the shelves aren't actually SS. SS is darker gray, the shelves are shiny chrome plated steel. Check out the link at Sam's club... these are a really good price IMO.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=152201&searchTerm=773603

DanaMae Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm
post #14 of 26

I'm with you...this process has been a lot of fun! The building I bought had already been converted to a commercial kitchen and passed inspection so there is very little I will need to change/update. However, there are a few little things that I need/want (mostly want!!! - you can never have enough cake toys - lol). Want to make it "my own"...changing colors on the inside and out. Just can't hardly wait to get it here!

Have fun!
Dana

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:01pm
post #15 of 26

use the space above your oven and have it divided into vertical sections, I have 5 sections above mine and i have a good 30-40 cake pans up there that are really easy to reach, one section each for cookie sheets, round pans, sheet pans, square pans and muffin pans. I also fitted my kitchen with ikea cabinets and drawers. love the drawers i have a 30" narrow draw under my ovens that keeps all my rolls of foil. then the deep drawers are just right for cake mixes. and bowls. be sure to post us some pictures when you get it set up. you must be real excited!!

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:25pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMae

Love that hardware cabinet KHalstead. I believe that will be my next purchase. I bought my home-based kitchen from a friend and it is being delivered on Wednesday (it's one of those storage-type buildings you can buy at Lowe's already converted to a commercial style kitchen)...I'm so excited! Can't wait to start organizing it and getting it ready for inspection...getting very close to being legal so I can actually start selling. Woot Woot.

Congrats Jolis_Gateaux-2009 on your kitchen renovation. I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

I'd love to see a picture of this!

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm
post #17 of 26

These are all great ideas!
I just cake for fun and family so I don't have a ton of stuff like some of you (ok I do but hubby doesn't know the half of it!!!)
I use a fishing tackle box for my smaller tools, colors, bags etc.
Tips go into a little tackle divided box and I have a little # labels on the lid so I can find them/ put away in a hurry.

DanaMae Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:16pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMae

I'd love to see a picture of this!

As soon as I have it set up, I'll post pics. Thanks!

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:49pm
post #19 of 26

What an idea SweetCakes! Would you mind sending or posting a picture of the space above you oven?

What is your counter top of choice for those of you who frequently use fondant? Is there a website that anyone knows of that resales or auctions commercial grade islands/prep-stations/appliances or closeouts?

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:09pm
post #20 of 26

Did you take those pics yet SweetCakes?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #21 of 26

yes, here is the space above my wall oven where i keep sheets, squares, round, cookie and muffin pans
LL

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:16am
post #22 of 26

that's awesome sweetcakes. I don't have that kind of shelf =(

Jolis_Gateaux-2009 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:06pm
post #23 of 26

I love this idea! I have seen it in a lower cabinet but I thought it was a waste of cabinet. This is a great place to put them. Thankds!

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:48pm
post #24 of 26

Thank you so much for showing us the picture, I want my husband to build me something like it, and it will really help now for him to have an actual visual and not a drawing as an example. Thanks!

KHalstead Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:03pm
post #25 of 26

I would love something like that for my cake pans AND my cake boxes and boards!!

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:49pm
post #26 of 26

i lovee this thread! so much great ideas. I have a small 10ft.4" X 8ft.9" small building in my back yard that i'm thinking of turning to a kitchen. i hope it's not too small

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%