Posting Other Peoples Cake Pics On Facebook?!!?

Lounge By momma28 Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 11:39pm by indydebi

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 9

There is a new local business that offers event planning, catering, decorating and cakes. It looks like three friends that pooled their talents to open a wedding business. Anyway I was looking at their facebook page....clicked on photos....they have NO cake pictures of their own. In fact no pictures of anything THEY have done but they posted pictures of other peoples cake (hand painted fondant) that they like. The page says Dont worry when we have some handpainted cakes of our own done they will go on facebook in an instant. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!?!?!? Can they even do that? Doesnt facebook say you have to have the right to post the pictures. Copying the from flickr or google and posting them to your facebook business page has to be against the rules. Here's an idea DO YOUR OWN WORK AND THEN POST IT!!!

Sorry, just fuming!

8 replies
JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 9

I don't get why people do that. Anyone can find pictures of pretty cakes in magazines all day long! I want to see what YOU can do! But on the bright side, at least they're telling people the cakes aren't theirs. That isn't always the case!

There's a local decorator here who shows potential clients pictures from magazines and books and tells them she can do cakes "just like this." icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif I've gotten a few jobs from people who have run from her!

At a shop were I used to work, there was a decorator who was great with fondant and gum paste figures, but couldn't pipe to save her life. I did all of the piping/buttercream work. We both recently left the shop...she stayed in the same city and I moved to another state and we've both started our own businesses. Well, I just found out that she is using pictures of cakes from the old bakery to get jobs. Yes, she DID work on SOME of the cakes, but did NONE of the piping....and she is telling people she did ALL of the work by herself! She's even showing pictures of cakes she never touched! I just found this out through a friend and former customer who consulted with her and was shown a picture of a cake I did for her!! My friend told her, "This was MY cake and I know you didn't decorate it!!" tapedshut.gif My friend is very "connected" and has a big mouth icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif so it was a pretty stupid thing for the decorator to do!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 9

The best thing you can do...is if you know the people whose pics are being used, email or Private Message them.

Then they can decide what to do about it. Many will contact them and ask for credit or for the people to take them down.

It isn't cool for people to do that but it sounds like they aren't claiming they actually did the cakes.

sexy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sexy_baker Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

The best thing you can do...is if you know the people whose pics are being used, email or Private Message them.

Then they can decide what to do about it. Many will contact them and ask for credit or for the people to take them down.

It isn't cool for people to do that but it sounds like they aren't claiming they actually did the cakes.

I absolutely agree. PM that person and scare them that they've actually committed something illegal and might just get jailed for it. Let's see if they won't act on it. icon_lol.gif

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 9

You can flag the photos on Facebook and they will be removed.

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 9

There's a lady on FB who claims to make cupcakes, yet all her pictures are from flickr. I get so angry when I see this! She writes about the picture as if it were her own and I KNOW they are not.

When I want to sell teacher themed cupcakes, I get my booty off the couch, make some batter, fill the cups, bake them, and then decorate them all on my own. I would never think of taking their actually thing.

Go ahead and copy her design, I don't see anything wrong with this as long as she isn't your neighbor and you know she is doing it too. Just make sure that it was made using your own two hands.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 9

i've seen some more "well-known" bakeries do this as well.......(I believe pink cake box does it?) only they call it "inspiration galleries" lol

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 9

Just email facebook and tell them about the copyright violation. They'll remove the pictures.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 9

A number of my event planner friends post pics of cakes, but they label them with "This was the great cake Debi made for our bride this weekend". They don't take credit for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%