Fondant Smoothers?

Decorating By laura4795 Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 5:56pm by AlanT

laura4795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura4795 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 7

I'm a cake newbie, so I'm still acquiring supplies. I'm getting ready to place a GSA order and am thinking of adding a fondant smoother.

How necessary are they? Will they make a big difference in the way my cakes look? Right now I just smooth them with my hands. Would a fondant smoother make things a lot easier or help my cakes look a lot better?

6 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 7

They are absolutely needed for fondant. You need two to get sharp edges. I bought some from sugaredproductions.com and really like them better than the wilton ones because they are bigger.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 7

Get two. It really makes a world of difference. I use mine with the viva method for my buttercream, too.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with Elcee, get two of them. I have the Wilton fondant smoothers and I love them. There's no way to get your fondant smooth without the smoothers. Using two when smoothing you're able to get sharper edges.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I agree with Elcee

\\

Great minds... icon_lol.gif

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:13am
post #6 of 7

Playing devils advocate....and if they are wiltons, why would anyone order something online and pay shipping when you could get them from michaels with 40% off coupons???
Unless you dont have a michaels/joanns or hobby lobby around you.
Just food for thought.

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 7

We sell fondant smoothers from several manufacturers. My preference is are the JEM smoothers which are larger. I also like the smoothers from Fat Daddio's. Alan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%