Colours!! Hate It When This Happens...

Decorating By halleyec Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 11:30pm by halleyec

halleyec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halleyec Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 5

Just getting this off my chest.

I have nearly finished a cake that i was really looking forward to doing yet the colours didn't quite turn out how i wanted. ( still has to go on fondant covered board with writting)

I was after
top tier - white
bottom tier - pale lilac and
roses - deeper lilac but in the pictures i took it looks really washed out!

Not sure what to do - feeling disappointed! moments like these i wish i had an air brush...

Was thinking i might need to add some detail to the bottom tier in the deeper lilac - ANY SUGGESTIONS

First attempt at roses by the way

Cheers
LL

4 replies
j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 5

Was it that pale when you made it, or did it fade? I've had trouble with my grey fondant turning blue before. I hear you should keep it out of sunlight. And your roses are beautiful by the way. Maybe you could brush on some darker purple color? Do you have any powder coloring or colored lustre dust maybe??

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 5

If you have trouble with purple fading, add 1 tsp baking soda to 1 pound of fondant or gumpaste or 50/50 mix. This will help preserve the colour.

I probably would dust the roses to bring out the colour. Cake is beautiful by the way.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 5

[quote="halleyec"]

First attempt at roses by the way

icon_eek.gif First attempt? They're beautiful. Good job on the cake. I also have problems with purple/lavender/lilac fading. I'm going to have to try the baking soda that dsilvest recommended.

halleyec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halleyec Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the tips for next time. It did fade a bit but i probably did it a bit too pale to start with. (i really wanted the contrast between the purples and white)

Any suggestions on what to do now? maybe add some elegant detail in the deeper lilac to the bottom tier - But what???
Or redo the bottom tier in deeper lilac?

Help appreciated as i have to finish it today

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%