How Would You Make This Wedding Cake...

Decorating By sbcakes Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 4:39pm by GGFan

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 23

I am making this wedding cake for this weekend. It is going to be 7 tiers total-4-6-8-10-12-14-16 " round tiers. The 12 " tier will be fake, but the others are all real. They have purchased the truffles for me, but I am interest for any input about placing them on the cake tiers. Do you think they will just stick into the butter cream? I am doing the truffles part on site and was planning on adding a layer of buttercream to the cakes before delivery, unless anyone has any other ideas? Just wanted some other opinions. Thanks in advance for your help!
LL
LL

22 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 23

I don't think the truffles will just stick to butterecream as some are quite heavy and will roll off.You are going to have to use a toothpick or something for each truffle.Very time consuming...It also appears that you will have to base coat the cake in chcocolate brown so you don't see white cracks in between each truffle.This is going to be a challenge!!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 23

Those look heavy. Toothpicks?

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 23

Ive never tried to stick them to bc, it might hold but if you are nervous abouth them coming off maybe stick toothpics in the truffles and then stick it inot the cake. otherwise use ganashe instead of bc

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 23

Wow! Good Luck! I have to agree, truffles can be heavy, so toothpicks may be the way to ensure they don't start popping off. This will take longer than you think, so allow EXTRA time!! You might also think about melted chocolate?

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 23

i would do a small trial cake before....even toothpicks into the cake might slip unless the cake is very dense.

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 23

What if you used half of the truffle, you'd get a very similar look and have half as much weight to stick on there. It would also give you a larger surface to stick on there?

sbcakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 23

Ughhh-what did I get myself into??? lol icon_smile.gif
I'm thinking the toothpick idea is the best way to go. I just hope that they don't slide down the cake? The bride got the picture off the knot-I wish I could find the person who made it!!!

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Mexicano

What if you used half of the truffle, you'd get a very similar look and have half as much weight to stick on there. It would also give you a larger surface to stick on there?

this sounds like the way to go. in fact, look closely at the pic and there is very little space, maybe the orig was done like this too.

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 23

I think the above posters are right in that the background must be chocolate. I'd do a trial cake and cover with ganache, then try adding the truffles one row at a time --before it was fully firm, so the chocolates would fuse when cooled. I wouldn't trust toothpicks in buttercream. I've done truffle trees as centrepieces (truffles on toothpicks into styrofoam) and even that was a challenge.

BTW what kind of truffles are we talking about? ie. how firm are they, are they coated in choc etc? This would all matter to the adherence.

Obviously you wouldn't be able to do this method at the venue. I'd see it taking a while lotta time to be honest, as you'd have to make sure the bottom layer was stuck before moving on to the next row.

Best of luck! I'd love getting a truffle with my piece of wedding cake, yumm!

sbcakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:55pm
post #11 of 23

Hmmm-so I guess I can bring a knife and half them, and then use the toothpicks...I'm gona need a big drink by the end of Saturday night when this cake is over!!!

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 23

I would think that chilling the cake once completed would help hold the truffles on better. That's a huge cake. Hope you have some help. Let us know how it turns out. Give yourself lots of time & don't get discouraged -- you can do it.

Cakechick123 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:08pm
post #13 of 23

just remember that the truffles will support each other, so they might not be as heavy as you think!

for these truffles I just used a small dab of melted choc and they held up. I delivered this fully assembled and decorated 40min away.

Im not sure if the choc will work on bc (this cake was covered in chocolate paste) but with the toothpick it should be fine

sbcakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:18pm
post #14 of 23

What a gorgeous cake!!!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:34pm
post #15 of 23

Maybe the straw-like coffee stirrers? They might be less like a knife pulling through the cake than a toothpick. Also, CHILL. Can only be a friend to a cake like this. Make sure you estimate time necessary to place them all. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

pwlguinha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pwlguinha Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:56am
post #16 of 23

I dont feel confident enough to give u advice on this, i'm really a newborn in this... but i can give u confidence, it will work just great! And beg... that i can do... PLZ dont forget to post photos!
Carla

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:08am
post #17 of 23

If you put the toothpicks in at an angle, the truffles may be less likely to fall off.

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:23am
post #18 of 23

I would use craft picks. They are larger than toothpicks and flat. They are bigger at one end and taper down to a point at the other end. 3 1/2" long. I love them and they give more stability. You can get them in a bag of 750 very inexpensive. Mine came from Hobby Lobby but I'm sure other craft stores carry them too. Good luck!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:30am
post #19 of 23

That's a lot of toothpicks going into the cake...seems like that alone would cause some damage not to mention, make it more difficult when it comes to cutting it...lost toothpick fragments in the servings where the knife nicked 'em.

I agree with the poster (gorgeous cake btw!) that said they'd support each other...

sbcakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:06pm
post #20 of 23

Thanks SO much for all of your help and input!!!
Do you think that if I used a dab of choc and attatch it to the Choc. BC, it will adhere? Cakechick123, I noticed that yours is attached to fondant. I am also thinking that the toothpicks might be a lot of toothpicks going into the cake. I am leaning towards halfing the truffles, and bringing my little melting pot and using a dab of choc. to adhere them. What do you think ladies???

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #21 of 23

I would do a the toothpick. If I am attaching to buttercream, I would use a bit of buttercream to attach it, if it's on top of fondant I would do chocolate.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Cakechick123 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm
post #22 of 23

I agree with Edna, I dont think the chocolate on BC will work, but maybe give it a try if you want. Im sure the bc, toothpicks and the way its stacked will be enough support

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:39pm
post #23 of 23

I'm thinking chocolate fondant and attached the truffle with melted chocolate then chilled it over night and until time to leave the house. Bring extra chocolate and truffle just in case some falls off on the way because of the heat. But chocolate fondant is more expensive so if you didn't charge enough for that the chocolate buttercream would be the way to go IMO. With chocolate buttercream, you need to attach the truffle on the toothpick which I would do at that step at home then attached the toothpicked truffle on site. It is hard to insert toothpick into a truffle without having the exterior broken I think. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%