How Many Cake Boards?

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm by Creativebakes

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:31am
post #1 of 12

I will be making a stacked cake on Friday. The cakes will be 10 and 7 inches. I have used two cardboard's hot glued together before but I find it difficult to cover the cardboard edge with butter cream. Not a problems when I use fondant. Can I use a single cardboard or do I really need two together? There is no border around the bases of the cake to help hide the cardboard's just smoothed icing. Thanks.

11 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 12

One should be fine. If you are worried, slip 4-5 bubble straws in to support the small layer.

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 12

A lot of people keep mentioning bubble straws what are they? Are they better than dowels?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 12

Yes! Bubble straws are 1/2 in wide straws and the cake actually will go inside of the straws and not displace the cake, like with dowels.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I will be making a stacked cake on Friday. The cakes will be 10 and 7 inches. I have used two cardboard's hot glued together before but I find it difficult to cover the cardboard edge with butter cream. Not a problems when I use fondant. Can I use a single cardboard or do I really need two together? There is no border around the bases of the cake to help hide the cardboard's just smoothed icing. Thanks.

If you're talking about cardboard cake circles for the base of the bottom tier that supports the whole cake then yes you need two or three of them glued together to be sturdy enough to properly support your cake. If you mean two "glued together" to use between layers then I certainly wouldn't do that. That would leave too large of a "gap" between layers.

You only need one cardboard circle between your tiers and straws or dowels to help support the top tier. Are you planning on using just the cardboard circles between tiers for support? icon_confused.gif I've never heard of using the cardboard circles only between tiers. I've always seen them used along with dowels/straws.

I use the same size cake circle as the cake that it's sitting on. By the time I've iced my cake the cardboard is no longer visible even before adding the border. I'm trying to figure out exactly how you're planning on constructing your cake. icon_confused.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks everyone.

Creativebakes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Yes! Bubble straws are 1/2 in wide straws and the cake actually will go inside of the straws and not displace the cake, like with dowels.

Where can you get bubble straws?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 12

[quote="Creativebakes"]

Quote:

I can't get them without ordering them. I order milkshake straws which are very similar but cheaper for me because I order through a friend of mine that owns a catering business.

Most of the tiered cakes in my photo's have McDonald's straws for supports. icon_lol.gif I had ran out of straws and couldn't find any locally. I noticed that the McDonald straws were very similar to the ones that I use so I ask the manager if she would sell me a few of them. She gave me a handful. Actually probably two handfuls. I continued to use them even after I received my order. So...if you can't find milkshake straws try your local McDonald's. thumbs_up.gif I never use wooden dowels anymore. Straws are so much easier to cut and I've never had any problem with the structure of my cakes being sturdy enough.

Karen421 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:41am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativebakes

Quote:

Ebay has them pretty cheap. I get mind at an Asian food store. I think someone also said Burger King along with McDonald's has big straws too.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:33am
post #10 of 12

Have you ever seen tapioca tea on an asian menu? That's what they are used for. Any large asian market will have them.

Karen421 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 12

It is really good! thumbs_up.gif

Creativebakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #12 of 12

After all the cakes are stacked using the bubble straws do you then run a dowel

Through to connect all the layers?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%