How Do I Make A Plaid Pattern?

Decorating By Mamashuk Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 2:51pm by Mamashuk

Mamashuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamashuk Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 7

My friend asked me to make a graduation cake for her daughter and she would like it to represent her school years (e.g., tiered cakes for each school attended). Anyway, her daughter attended a Catholic elementary school and she would like the bottom tier to look like the skirt she wore to school. Any ideas how to do this? Would it be easier to airbrush or use fondant?

6 replies
threetiercake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threetiercake Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, Not sure if this is what you are looking for but there is a great clip on youtube by aine2 Type in "How to make a tartan pattern on fondant" and it should come up or type in "aine2 sugarcraft videos " and you will get a list. Hope this works for you.

Mamashuk Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, that will work.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:34am
post #4 of 7

aine2, one of the best there is. I have all her tutorials.

maroesja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maroesja Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:03am
post #5 of 7

You should watch colourlovers.com, maybe there something you could use.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:24am
post #6 of 7

Could you post a pic of the plaid pattern? I had 2 patterns to do on a skateboard cake and Aine2s tutorial was great, but just did not suit my needs. I did one with a combo of painting on fondant and using edible markers (the bear) free hand. For the other pattern on the cake (base), I used edible images - just got a photo from the Mom and got them made at Co-op. See my skateboard cake in my photos. Chocolate transfers were also another option I looked at.

Mamashuk Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the advice. I actually made a plaid pattern using food color pens and cut out skirts and put them around the bottom of the cake. I then made fondant legs and attached them to the skirt and then made saddle shoes to finish it off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%