Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By cakegirl71 Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 10:30pm by Shannie13

cakegirl71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl71 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 11

How do you make your own modeling chocolate?

10 replies
Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 11

i melt good quality chocolate over a double boiler, then add warmed corn syrup, mix well, then spread on a pan and put in fridge for a couple of hours. then i kneed them together, and volia! bobs your uncle!! thumbs_up.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 11

White chocolate - 1 lb to 1/3 to 1/2 cup of white corn syrup depending the amount of cocoa butter in the chocolate. Melt the chocolate and stir the warmed syrup into the chocolate until it solidifies. Spread on parchment paper until cool and then wrap in plastic wrap - store about 1-2 days before using. Check the recipes section of this site probably for better instructions.

cakegirl71 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks Motorhead. Sounds easy. icon_biggrin.gif

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 11

I've made it before and just let it set overnight and that was enough. When you mix the melted choc. and the corn syrup don't panic when it starts to look like cottage cheese. Just keep stirring and it will smooth out. It took me by surprise the first time I made it.

cakegirl71 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 11

I've seen the little round circles of chocolate in bags. have anyone ever used this?They come in diffrent colors. Wilton has some.

joknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joknee Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 11

I just made it last week with choco melts and it worked like a charm! One 1lb bag of melts to 1/3 c corn syrup. Poured it into a saran-lined pan and when it was cool to the touch I wrapped it in more saran wrap and refrigerated overnight. Kneaded it as I used it and it was a delight to work with. To be honest, it took me longer to type these instructions than it did to make the stuff!

cakegirl71 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joknee

I just made it last week with choco melts and it worked like a charm! One 1lb bag of melts to 1/3 c corn syrup. Poured it into a saran-lined pan and when it was cool to the touch I wrapped it in more saran wrap and refrigerated overnight. Kneaded it as I used it and it was a delight to work with. To be honest, it took me longer to type these instructions than it did to make the stuff!

Thanks.I will try this.Last sentence cute.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 11

I made some a couple of days ago with the same recipe as above with the candy melts. When I kneaded it and made my figure, it did not set up, it is still soft to the touch from Sunday. What did I do wrong?

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:15pm
post #10 of 11

FYI - the Candy Melts or the A-Peels are not real chocolate (i.e. there is no cocoa butter in them). They usually contain palm oil plus the lecithin. SO if you want true white chocolate with cocoa butter check your ingredients. Recipes though are about the same for either type.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:30pm
post #11 of 11

For those of you who found your chocolate soft after putting it in the fridge, I have this same problem as well. I use candy melts as my figures are for children's cakes and they don't really care when you say you can eat the figures they are chocolate. I have to let my modeling chocolate sit out for 3 days in order to get the consistency that I like. I do have to knead it a bit to get it back to a softer consistency so I can work with it, but in the end it sets up perfectly. I mainly use the modeling chocolate for my tiaras as royal icing just breaks on me and my frustration level gets very high.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%