Got My 1St Order For A Whimsy Cake!

Decorating By countrycakes Updated 19 Jan 2007 , 6:18pm by mqguffey

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 11

icon_biggrin.gif One of the ladies I work with, her dd is having a Sweet 16 party in March. She has decided that she wants a 'Whimsy/Mad Hatter cake'. icon_smile.gif ANd I am excited! It will be my first one....here is her colors and patterns that she wants:

Top cake: French vanilla cake with bc icing, colors of Chocolate Brown with Lime Green and Fuschia Pink Polka Dots! icon_smile.gif

Middle cake: Yellow cake with Wavy stripes, of Choc. Brown, Lime Green and Fuschia Pink

Bottom Cake: Chocolate cake with....get this...... Vera Bradley Java Blue patterns! icon_smile.gif

Is that wild?! I am so excited...I will definitely post pics of this one! It should be different!!!

10 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 11

Can't wait to see it .. sounds like it's going to be really cute .. best of luck with it!!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 11

Good luck I just made two practice cakes for my dd's 8th birthday, I tried two different methods, I ended up liking the 2nd try better so I'm totally ready for the real thing, my daughters will be a 4 layer 10" cake at the botton and a 4 layer 6" on top buttercream in the middle and will be chocolate at the bottom and vanille on top more people like chocolate,
do you mind me asking how much you are charging her for the cake if you don't want to share that's fine just curious how much these cakes go for!

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 11

Oooooo, I cannot wait to see this cake icon_biggrin.gif

countrycakes Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 11

icon_smile.gif I haven't come up with a price yet....we are waiting to see how big the guest list is getting! It's not till March.and she told me last night to just let her know how much so she can put down a deposit. She's a nice person...and her daughter is a sweetie too. I still have to do a few minor decorating details with them...but it is going to be neat! icon_smile.gif

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 11

That sounds awesome. I'm going to try my first for Valentine's Day. Can't wait!

Cakedecor, you said you tried two methods. Which one did you like better?

Countrycakes, how do you plan to stack yours? Are you going to use BKeith's method from the tutorial?

I'm in the information gathering stage!

countrycakes Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 11

icon_smile.gif I am planning to use whoever's tutorial is here at CC.....have not looked at it, but I know someone ? has done one here. This place is a godsend for us decorators!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 11

I tryed the tutorial fron cc but it didn't work for me, I think the cake needs to be a dry one, like madeira cake, the one you would use to sculpt a cake, I did it with a yellow cake and the borders just crumbled to the side, cause they are cut so thin tho fit the cake on top.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 11

I tried the method on the Whimsical Bakehouse and it was not slanted enough
So I tried to do it similar to the one on the tutorial except my cake did not taper I carved it wrong I think, well it made it look pretty crooked but was easy then I carved a hole on top of the bottom cake then stuck the top cake there I used four layers but the top two layers are cut slanted like the tutorial shows and worked fine then I put filling like a regular cake and worked fine here the picture
LL

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 5:07pm
post #10 of 11

I don' t know if CC is going to carry the whimsical pans but you can order them from

Fiesta Cake decorating you can pm me for the info

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 11

cakedecor, that looks good! I'd love to see the finished product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%