How Do I Get My Icing Smooth?

Decorating By rkei Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 4:40am by pmarks0

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 7

I use store bought Icing for my base coat, and I guess that is just because I don't like using up so much of my mum's confectioner's sugar. Is there a way I can get it nice and smooth like buttercream, or do I need to use BC? If I did use BC, how do you get it so smooth. Do you have to have a certain kind of towel to do the paper towel method?I have seen videos when the lady goes around the edge of her cake with what looks like a drywall trowel to get it smooth. I have done at least 14 cakes, and still can't get my icing smooth at all. I have just one of those small angled spatulas. Do I need a bigger one? Thanks!

6 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 7

I use Viva paper towels and the Wilton Fondant smoother. But, I honestly have never tried to smooth the store bought because whenever I use it, it's too wet and sticky. I always make the bc. If my daughter was making my cakes, I wouldn't worry about her using up my ps!!!

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 7

all i can say is practice makes perfect. i have tried paper towels, the roller, the metal scraper, nothing is the perfect remedy. it takes me forever to do something that i've seen tonedna do on youtube in about 4 seconds. pick whatever you're comfortable with and practice...

rkei Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 7

@Malakin: You use the Wilton fondant smoother as in laying the paper towel down, and then just sorta running the fondant smoother over it? Do I make any sense?

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, Rachel, a bigger spatula would be very helpful. I put my icing on with the icer tip in a bag and it makes a big difference. After you get it smoothed as much as you can, get a tall glass of very hot water and dip your spatula in it, wipe the water off the spatula and try smoothing it again. Let your cake crust and then use a paper towel and smooth it with the fondant smoother or your spatula. Smoothing is a multi step process for me. Good luck!!! Keep up the good work, you are doing great!!!

rkei Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanahaley

Yes, Rachel, a bigger spatula would be very helpful. I put my icing on with the icer tip in a bag and it makes a big difference. After you get it smoothed as much as you can, get a tall glass of very hot water and dip your spatula in it, wipe the water off the spatula and try smoothing it again. Let your cake crust and then use a paper towel and smooth it with the fondant smoother or your spatula. Smoothing is a multi step process for me. Good luck!!! Keep up the good work, you are doing great!!!

Thank you VERY much, nanahaley. I'll have to find a Michael's craft coupon and pick up some things. icon_smile.gif

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:40am
post #7 of 7

You might want to take a look at Tutugirl's post on how she does the smooth b/c. It looks amazing. I'll have to try it out too!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-682196-icing.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%