Sculpey Iii And Stainless Steel Oven = Bad News!

Decorating By KristyCakes Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm by BlakesCakes

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 4

Just wanted to post this as a warning. I use Sculpey clay all the time for toppers for my cakes. I normally buy the original white Sculpey and paint my toppers. For my cake last weekend, I need to use the pre-colored Sculpey (which turned out to be Sculpey III in the little bricks).

The topper turned out cute. Next morning I am cleaning up the kitchen and notice a white film on the back of the oven panel... I rub it and the finish comes off! I didn't over bake the clay.

The finish came off on the lower portion of the back panel that sticks up from the oven (with the control panel). My oven is a stainless steel Frigidaire and the oven vents heat out the back near this panel. I guess this new Sculpey released some fumes... Ugh! Won't be using Sculpey III again and wanted to save someone else's oven if I could!

3 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 4

Thanks. You do place a barrier between your product and the non food decos, right?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 4

Wow. When I first started working with polymer clay it was strongly advised to have a dedicated oven just for clay. Personally I would never bake clay in the same oven I use to bake my food in. It has been a few years now, so possibly it has been proven that this is not necessary?

And what do you put between your cake and the clay? And I am curious, does this work better for you than modeling chocolate, fondant or gumpaste? I have wondered about this. I don't do cake professionaly, but I want to make a special cake for my grand daughter's first birthday, but was afraid to put clay against cake.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Wow. When I first started working with polymer clay it was strongly advised to have a dedicated oven just for clay. Personally I would never bake clay in the same oven I use to bake my food in. It has been a few years now, so possibly it has been proven that this is not necessary?

And what do you put between your cake and the clay? And I am curious, does this work better for you than modeling chocolate, fondant or gumpaste? I have wondered about this. I don't do cake professionaly, but I want to make a special cake for my grand daughter's first birthday, but was afraid to put clay against cake.

No, you're right. They still say to never bake Sculpey in an oven that will be used for food thumbs_up.gif

Yes, there MUST be a barrier between a Sculpey item and something that will be eaten............parchment, saran wrap, a plastic disc, a fondant covered board that will be removed.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%