Your Favorite Ganache Recipe Please

Baking By Faffy Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 2:56pm by awestervelt

Faffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faffy Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #1 of 14

Hi I would like to try and make ganache for a cake I am doing for my nephew. I have never done ganache and feel a bit intimidated by it. Does anyone have a tried and true easy recipe that I might try? Thanks for the help. icon_smile.gif

13 replies
jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:23am
post #2 of 14

I usually do equal parts (by weight) cream and a good dark chocolate. Also, look for a cream that is just cream and not extra stuff.

Heat cream until it simmers and then pour onto chocolate that is in a heat-proof bowl. Let it sit for a minute(ish) and then stir until it's all combine. Then I usually let it sit overnight to set up.

It's best if you use it at room temperature since it's pretty stiff, but I use it on cake all the time and it works fine for me. To smooth, dip your spatula in hot water, wipe dry, then smooth.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:28am
post #3 of 14

I use 12 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate and 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 2 TBS. granulated sugar and 2 TBS. real butter (unsalted). Break chocolate up into small pieces and place in glass/stainless steel bowl. In saucepan heat heavy whipping cream, sugar and butter to boiling. Pour over chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted and shinny. Let sit overnight (I usually let mine sit for 24 hours) before using.

I ice my cake and then smooth with the hot knife method. thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 14

I always though you made and used Ganache right away pouring it over top cakes.They look dark and shiny...Is it even better to let it sit over night and use as a filling?Do you refridgerate it?

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 14

There are lots of options when making and using Ganache.

If you want it really thin, you let cool till it's warm and then pour it over you item.
If you want it thicker, cool some more.
If you want it fluffy, cool completely then whip with a mixer.
You can use cooled white or chocolate ganache as a whip cream stabilizer.
Chocolate whipped Ganache added to whipped cream taste almost mousse-like.
Butter added to Ganache gives it a sheen even when refrigerated.
If you like it sweeter, add powdered sugar at the end or granulated sugar when just making it.
Add Expresso (disolved in water) or Brandy or other liquor to highten it flavor.
Bottom line is that you can just have fun with it.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by regymusic

There are lots of options when making and using Ganache.

If you want it really thin, you let cool till it's warm and then pour it over you item.
If you want it thicker, cool some more.
If you want it fluffy, cool completely then whip with a mixer.
You can use cooled white or chocolate ganache as a whip cream stabilizer.
Chocolate whipped Ganache added to whipped cream taste almost mousse-like.
Butter added to Ganache gives it a sheen even when refrigerated.
If you like it sweeter, add powdered sugar at the end or granulated sugar when just making it.
Add Expresso (disolved in water) or Brandy or other liquor to highten it flavor.
Bottom line is that you can just have fun with it.

You answered so many questions in this one little paragraph.

Butter makes it sheen- I always wondered why this was included in the recipe. I figured it was for taste. icon_cool.gif

Whip cream stabilizer? - Can you elaborate on this? Does this mean I can have a whipped cream frosting? Do I add equal parts or more of one than the other?
Now I want to make some ganache and try all these ideas. I was going to make some cakes this weekend for some new neighbors. I just might have to do a ganache filling. icon_wink.gif

Also I love your quote!

regymusic Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:04am
post #8 of 14

Hi LindaF144,

Here is the link for the Whipped Cream Frosting stabilized with white chocolate.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/39/White_Chocolate_MousseGanache8302.shtml

Enjoy!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:26am
post #9 of 14

great post! I also have been wanting to try ganache so will try out these recipes to find my favorite

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:40am
post #10 of 14

i've got ganache cooling on my counter right now...i plan on whipping it tomorrow with my standing kitchenaid. i've never whipped ganache before. do i use the whisk or the beater blade?

regymusic Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:47am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

i've got ganache cooling on my counter right now...i plan on whipping it tomorrow with my standing kitchenaid. i've never whipped ganache before. do i use the whisk or the beater blade?

The idea is to incorporate air to 'fluff up' the Ganache. So the whisk is definitely the way to go.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 14

also, best tip ive picked up is to use a whisk when making the ganache, not a spoon, it helps to make sure you melt down all the "bits".

Faffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faffy Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:06pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you all for the get advice, can't wait to try them! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:56pm
post #14 of 14

save

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%