Cricut Cake Help Me Please

Decorating By Suebee Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 1:24am by Suebee

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 9

We just purchased the Cricut Cake. I tried using straight gumpaste, gumpaste & wilton fondant. Putting it in the freezer for 10 min. It keeps ripping the fondant and not making a clean cut. If I leave it out to harden then when I go to put it on the cake it will crack. How do you get your fondant to work.

8 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 9

There are many many posts about this but I'll give you the quick answer. I mix tylose into my fondant and roll it out on the mat to the thiness of a dime. Then I let it dry overnight for about 12 hours to let it set up well. Then cutting seems to go perfectly. I know a lot of people who use gumpaste instead so it doesn't have to dry as long but I don't like the taste of gumpaste so I use the fondant/tylose mix instead. HTH. Cat

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 9

cat gave you a great answer. If you let it dry overnight (especially if you put another mat on top or put the mat in a large plastic baggie) it will still be pliable enough to put on a cake, but firm enough to make clean cuts. I was super frustrated with my Cake until I learned this method. I bought a bunch of extra mats so I could roll out everything I would need the night before and cut everything out the next day.

Suebee Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks so much, I have been trying to look at all the posts they are always helpful. Some were saying to put it in the frig. When you watch the videos they all use gumpaste and don't let it sit. Thanks again I will definately try tylose. what brand of fondant do you use, we normally use Satin Ice.

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 9

I use plain 'ol white Wilton fondant with Tylose or Gum Tex mixed in. I've heard that Satin Ice works well too, I just don't have any on hand.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 9

I use satin ice mixed with tylose.

I roll it very thin and I cut it right away.

Theres a jessica rabbit cake in my gallery that was cut with the cricut

Suebee Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:26am
post #7 of 9

Kayla1505 I had your Jessica Rabbit in my fav ... it's great. What mix of Fondant and tylose did you use. What pressure and speed do you cut at.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:32am
post #8 of 9

I didnt really measure. I just took a handful of fondant and kneaded in the tylose powder. than I let the fondant rest to stiffen.

I rolled it out with my pasta machine and cut right away.

the pressure and speed were set at 3 and blade was set at 5/6

Suebee Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:24am
post #9 of 9

Did anyone notice on the Cricut Cake the blade spins around.. How do you know if its cutting on the sharp edge of the blade????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%