How Do I Get Strong Chocolate Icings Like These One?

Decorating By karenapple Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 4:54am by FleurDeCake

karenapple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenapple Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:48am
post #1 of 15

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_b4AgxcB56NI/Sw6M659EP3I/AAAAAAAAAn4/PMVF5C_h44A/s1600/PB231556.gif

It looks like it has a different consistency too. I sooo want to get my icing like this, does any one know if it's just adding chocolate forever?

14 replies
mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:51am
post #2 of 15

that looks like a thick chocolate fudge icing. I think there are recipes here for some. I haven't personally tried any. good luck.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #3 of 15

I do not have a recipe for this, but you'll have to be careful. If you just 'add chocolate forever', it'll probably become bitter. Good luck - if you find a recipe, I hope you'll post it.

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:03am
post #4 of 15

I've been looking for something like this as well....if you find it, post it please!

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:08am
post #5 of 15

My best suggestion would be to use a crusting chocolate buttercream and add a small dab of black coloring to it to darken it up or find a buttercream that uses melted chocolate in it and use the darkest chocolate you can find.

Be sure to post your results when you figure it out. I would love to see your end result. icon_wink.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:13am
post #6 of 15

If you use dutch processed cocoa you'll get the darker color but not that fudgy look. I have no idea how they get fudgy frosting like you find at some bakeries. Let us know if you find a good recipe.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:14am
post #7 of 15

It looks like whipped dark chocolate ganache

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:25am
post #8 of 15

Oh I just made some of this tonight for my candy barrel cake! It's kind of a pain, but soooooo worth it.

Don't try and frost the outside of a cake with this stuff. Piping it onto cupcakes would be fine, and it's GREAT to fill a cake, but attempting to smooth it will tear your cake up. You can also pour it to top a cake but keep in mind it doesn't drip like ganache.

2/3 cup milk
2 cups granulated sugar
pinch salt
2 tablespoons corn syrup
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons shortening
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Dump everything into a large saucepan and put over medium-high heat. Stir to dissolve sugar & cocoa. Bring to a boil.
Affix a candy thermometer and boil to 238* DO NOT STIR
Turn off heat. DO NOT STIR.
Let mixture cool to about 90*. Remove thermometer and use a hand mixer to beat for about 10-15 minutes, until fudge thickens to a barely-pourable consistency.
Apply to cake/cupcake/mouth.

This is basically a soft fudge. It sets up fairly solid on the outside but stays soft on the inside.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:34am
post #9 of 15

Thanks for posting this recipe. I will definitely give this a try!

ylescu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylescu Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:37am
post #10 of 15

How many cupcakes can you frost with that recipe?

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:55am
post #11 of 15
kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:01pm
post #12 of 15

I've used Hershey's special dark cocoa, and it came out pretty dark! It's so yummy too!

karenapple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenapple Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:22am
post #13 of 15

Hey guys!! I'm sorrrrryyy I had totally forgotten I posted this post lol... I just read all the answers... thank you so much!!
I'll try those recipes and I'll be back to tell if they worked with me!! icon_smile.gif
I haven't found others yet..
just for the record... I did try whipping white ganache, but it didn't work at all icon_sad.gif it was about the color in this case, I didn't even get the consistency...

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:35am
post #14 of 15

My chocolate icing is really dark. I use Indydebi's recipe and add 6-8 ounces of melted unsweetened Baker's chocolate squares. I have to add a little extra milk when I add the chocolate but I just add about a tsp. at a time until I have the right consistency. I tried to attach a photo but I can't get it to work. It taste really good too. thumbs_up.gif

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:54am
post #15 of 15

thanks Piccollo that sounds so yummy cant wait to try it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%