Which Book To Buy...???

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 1:03am by bobwonderbuns

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 5

So I got a gift certificate to Amazon.com for my birthday and I'd like to buy a cake book. But what's a good book to buy? I've got Confetti Cakes (Elisa Strauss), Cakes To Dream On (Colette Peters), and a few Debbie Brown books. But I'd like a book that has lots of pictures, maybe some templates and instructions. I'm not so into the recipes, simply because I have my own already. My main focus is the pictures. I love to use these books for inspiration and ideas for my cakes...so photos are a MUST.

Anybody got any suggestions?

4 replies
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:08am
post #2 of 5

I really like Toba Garrett's Well Decorated Cake
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1402717733/?tag=cakecentral-20

There are a lot of techniques I'm sure I'll NEVER be able to do, but the pictures are just gorgeous and it has a lot of very helpful information. And, hey, those super advanced techniques just give me something to strive for. icon_smile.gif

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:24am
post #3 of 5

I second that on Toba's book. Great book!!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:47am
post #4 of 5

I love the Whimsical Bakehouse books, especially "Fun to Make Cakes that Taste as Good as They Look". They use only buttercream techniques--no fondant. The book also includes some chocolate techniques. I emailed one of the authors with some questions, and she got right back to me, which I thought was nice. And I love the House Buttercream recipe.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:03am
post #5 of 5

If you like pix, get Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes book. Not much in the way of how to, but wonderful for inspiration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%