Silicone Ice Cube Trays

Sugar Work By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 4:35am by HowCoolGomo1

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 11

If anyone is interested, http://www.surlatable.com/product/silicone+ice+cube+trays.do?keyword=silicone+ice+cube+trays&sortby=ourPicks

Normally, $12.95 for a set of 2, now only $5.99 for same set. They have 18 cavities and come in 3 different colors.

Shipping is a little over the top in my mind, but still got them around $7.50 or less for a set of 2.

10 replies
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:23am
post #2 of 11

I posted because a while back everyone was looking how to make tiles that they saw on the food network.

doofusmongerbeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doofusmongerbeep Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:41am
post #3 of 11

Many thanks for the link! I was looking for one to make isomalt ice-cubes for a beer bucket cake. icon_biggrin.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #4 of 11

I haven't received mine. They might not be the size you're looking for. I have a bad feeling they are small ice cubes.

I also have to do a cake. If they aren't the size, I can try to make them look like melting ice cubes. Then I will have to look for the big guys.

I bought 4 sets. I'm getting hit for slightly less than $33, with shipping and tax. Crap, I forgot Sur La Table has a store in at least the DFW area.

I will wrap my brain that it's ok., even if I messed up. They are dishwasher safe.

doofusmongerbeep Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:56am
post #5 of 11

No worries. I noticed they didn't list the size of the squares, but the price was good enough that I thought I'd risk it. icon_smile.gif

I bought something similar at a local bake shop this is it, I think. The squares are a good width & height, but not quite as deep as I'd like. They'll be my backup plan. icon_smile.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 11

Size of cubes 1x1x1.
Appear to be flimsy, so I don't know if they will hold up to the heat of poured sugar.
Dishwasher safe.

Hot pink color?, if color matters, close enough!

Will start experiments with different brands of Isomalt and real sugar tonight.

Definitely will let you know if they melt!

doofusmongerbeep Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:43am
post #7 of 11

Awesome! Many thanks!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:49am
post #8 of 11

Wilton has a silicone brownie bite pan that I've used for isomalt ice cubes. I used a 40% off coupon @ JoAnn and it was pretty cheap.
I'm thinking of buying another one b/c I use it to freeze homemade baby food, fruit, pesto, ect all the time. I've never made brownie bites with it (ha-ha).

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:00am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by doofusmongerbeep

Awesome! Many thanks!

First, didn't actually see your name. It rocks my world!

Good news, the stuff doesn't melt them, even if you went to 345 F.

Bad news, is I overcooked because I burnt myself. Note to me and anyone else that is as stupid as me; DON'T COOK SUGAR IN A SLEEVELESS SHIRT, W/O A BRA! Also, ask for digital thermometer now!, forget about waiting for birthday or Christmas. Luckily, the girls & their vitals weren't damaged. I have basically a grease burn, on the inside of my upper arm. Thank heavens I know people; who know first aid. Godsend, when you live in the country! We all must have skills!

Back to the main issue. CK brand of isomalt cooked to over 345F, didn't melt the icecube trays and the stuff popped right out. I poured immediately, due to above issue. So the cubes have bubbles but really shiny, smooth tops. The color would be perfect for champagne in a tulip glass, if you could figure out the foamy top.

I forgot to check the humidity and barometer for this experiment. I live in TX and we are having some great weather; for aquifers, lakes and wells. Not so fun, trying to readjust all your recipes because we finally have rain/humidity and it can be drier than Melba toast one minute and nasty sticky the next.

Right now it's about 72% humidity and 81 F.

Will redo the experiment with the different Isomalts and maybe try with real sugar.

Anyways, the stuff with the CK, came out hard and no sticky. The stuff I left settle in my pyrex is crystal clear, just the color of bad beer.

Will start over tomorrow or the next day if weather permits.

doofusmongerbeep Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:22am
post #10 of 11

Glad you like the screen name, and glad to hear you're ok! What happened to you is why I've put off trying poured sugar for so long. I'm inevitably going to burn something - the sugar, something in the kitchen, or myself. icon_razz.gif

Thanks for posting the results of your experiment. I also live in Texas, near the Austin area so it gets humid here too, and will by trying poured sugar for the first time in a few weeks for a beer bucket cake for a friend. icon_biggrin.gif I figured the trays would work ok, since the other silicone square pan that I posted earlier says it's safe for temps up to like 500F, but it's always nice to have verification firsthand. icon_smile.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:35am
post #11 of 11

The reason I got burned was because I was trying to attach the thermometer's clip, to the side of my pot.

Sucker popped off and stuff flew. Thankfully it wasn't even near to boil.

Digital stuff, if you can afford it!; Get it! The proby stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%