Travel Question

Decorating By Lcubed82 Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 3:26am by Lcubed82

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 5

I am headed to my neice's graduation, 12 hours by car (all in one day). I want to take an 8" cake, covered in fondant. Travel is Friday, party Sunday.

I figured nothing fancy, Sugarshack buttercream for filling and under fondant.

If I cover and dec on Thursday, pack in heavy box, travel Friday, keep cool room temp till Sunday afternoon, should this be OK? My only real concern is in the car- we will have AC on, but will be making stops for lunch and gas.

Thanks for any input!

4 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 5

Is it possible to keep it inside a cooler? Maybe put cold packs in the bottom then a thin towel to absorb any condensation followed by plastic between the cake box and the towel? I can't imagine making such a trip with any type of cake for summer. Is it at all possible to maybe bake the cake at home and bring the supplies with you in the cooler and finish it at the ending destination?

Lcubed82 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 5

No room for a cooler (5 adults in a mini van!) I may just have to stick to the cookies I am making, and not worry about a cake this time!

Any other thoughts?

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 5

it will be absolutely fine. As long as you don't leave it in a hot car, traveling will be fine. I drove with a fondant covered cake for 10 hours just last week. Just had it in a box, that was only slightly bigger than the board. Easy peasy.

Lcubed82 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 3:26am
post #5 of 5

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%