Recipe Needed:gestational Diabetes

Baking By alvarezmom Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 9:46pm by auntginn

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 28

I looked through the recipe posts, but didnt find what I am needing.

I have been asked to do a baby shower cake for a lady who has Gestational Diabetes.

Does any one have any recipes for the cake and icing?

Thanks,

27 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 28

I had gestational diabetes with my first baby. Is she going to eat the cake? I just avoided all sweets period. It wasn't worth it for the baby and myself. Maybe you can inquire about whether or not she intends on eating the cake.

Unless you are looking to do one for her and one for everybody else.

My first child is now 28 years old, so things have changed, including recipes. So there may be a recipe out there made with one of the artificial sweeteners available.

But it might be worth to double check that the Mother to be intends to indulge. She may be working on the side of being overcautious and avoid anything like that until after the baby is born.

HTH

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 28

I agree, I wouldn't make a cake, if I knew the mother would indulge, just think if anything happened, you wouldn't be able to sleep, at least I couldn't. gestational diabetes goes away after the baby is born, but can wreak havoc on mother and child while she is still pregnant. It's only a couple of months. I just wouldn't take the risk personally, and definately not the risk as the baker. Cake is made with flour, that also gets converted to sugar in the body, it's not just the sugar you put in

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:02am
post #4 of 28

I'm looking for one as well, and the person I'm making it for can have carbs. I was looking on the Splenda site, they have recipes for powdered sugar so you can make your own icing:

3/4 cup SPLENDA® Granular

2 Tbsp. Cornstarch

Blended in blender until smooth.

And this cake recipe:

1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all purpose flour
3/4 cup (180 mL) SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1 egg
1 cup (250 mL) sour skim milk*
1/4 cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
*Note: To sour milk, pour 1 tbsp (15 mL) vinegar into measuring cup, add milk to measure 1 cup (250 mL).
Combine flour, SPLENDA® Granulated, baking soda and salt in bowl. Add egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat at medium speed of mixer until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour into greased 8 inch (20 cm) round cake pan.
Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 20-25 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool on rack.

I'm going to "attempt" this and hope it works out. *crossing fingers*

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:37am
post #5 of 28

My advice is to make sure you tell everybody that there is Splenda in the cake just in case any one is sensitive to that product.

I know I am - big time. And the worse is that DH works for the company that makes it too.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:52am
post #6 of 28

Sugar-free cake will only help a little. Someone with gestational diabetes has to avoid carbs. Cake made with flour is loaded with carbs. I would ask before going to the trouble to make a sugar-free cake. Sugar is only a small part of the issue for gestational and Type 2 diabetics.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:06am
post #7 of 28

I had gestational diabetes with all three of my kids. I was insulin dependent for all three, all three are very healthy and my g. diabetes was a pain, but I did have cake. It's different for everyone. I allowed myself a slice of cake when someone threw me a baby shower, even if I had to take an extra shot for it. Otherwise I was very good, but

I think a sugar free cake of some kind would be great for the expectant mother. She will know how to handle the extra carbs. I even brought my own sugar free pumpkin pie to thanksgiving one year when I was pregnant.

Very thoughtful of the person to request sugar free. I think Splenda website would probably be your best bet.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 28

What about checking out the American Association for Diabetes website?

alvarezmom Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 28

Thanks for getting back with me! I am not sure why I never got any notifications, but after talking with my sister the lady CAN have Splenda and a small amount of sugars. My sister said she watches her sugar intake very carefully. What I plan on doing is making a diaper bag cake and then adding a small baby block (for the mother-to-be).

I did find some great recipes for diabetics, and they look promising. I have been having my sister ask what things that she can eat. My sister said she usually eats things that are sugar free, so I guess her G.B's arent that bad.

alvarezmom Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 28

Oh, I spoke with anthoer lady at work and she mentioned Angel Food cake.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 28

I use the splenda recipe all the time. I cater (as much as I can) to people with eating issues like diabetes. Most of them like this cake. I also include an ingredient listing label and calorie count on the box. Splenda is good about providing one for the recipes it carries but I put a disclaimer stating they are approximations.

Living with a diabetic person I know that you can do all you can to protect them for harm but ultimately they are in control of what they eat or not.

alvarezmom Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 28

Thanks auntginn!

Spectra Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:32pm
post #13 of 28

I just made that Splenda recipe yesterday, except I added a package of fat-free (which is sugar-free) vanilla pudding. I wanted to give it a try, and it seemed to work! icon_smile.gif

Auntginn I was wondering if you use a special icing as well when you make this cake? I haven't made the icing to go with it, still deciding on the best cream-cheese icing to use that I can also use to decorate a border with.

alvarezmom Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 28

I saw the cream cheese icing using splenda and I really dont want to make it with cream cheese. I ws hoping there was another recipe out there... I'm still searching!

auntginn Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:54pm
post #15 of 28

I have used the cream cheese icing and i also use pastry Pride whip topping. Most of my customers like the whip topping better. I don't add anything more to it and in warmer months it is lighter. HTH

Spectra Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:14pm
post #16 of 28

Is that the "mousse" with peanut butter in it? I did a search and that's all that came up?

auntginn Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm
post #17 of 28

Pastry Pride is just a whip topping. It is much like the Rich's Betercreme for those who do not have PP in your area. But whenever you are catering to customers with health issues be careful about the ingredients. I always try to keep my sugar, starch and caloric counts as low as possible.

Spectra Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:23pm
post #18 of 28

Oh I see. I think I'll stick with the cream cheese icing, as that is what she wants, but she also wants a cake with the basket weave on the sides, and I'm not sure if the cream cheese icing can be decorated with. Since you've tried it do you think I could decorate with it? I'm also thinking of other ways I could at least make the sides "look" like basket weave without actually piping it on....

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:27pm
post #19 of 28

I have started to buy a product called Z sweet. It's 0 calories, 0 glycemic carbohydrate. The ingredient is erythritol. It is sweet but has a bit of an after taste in some things. It's granulated.
There is also a brand called Whey Low and I think it's 75% less calories than reg. sugar. Is safe to use for type 1 and 2 diabetics (according to their packaging). Whey Low also has a powdered sugar, but I have not tried it. How about making a SMBC and just use a granulated sugar substitute. That way you don't have to buy so many products for just a little block of cake!

auntginn Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:12pm
post #20 of 28

If you make your cc frosting thick enough it will hold up and you could make your basket weave. By the way have any of you tried making fondant using the diatetic marshmellow recipe?

I have not but planning on trying it out this week.

Spectra Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:53pm
post #21 of 28

Do you just make it thicker with straight Splenda? I haven't used the diabetic marshmallow fondant recipe. I didn't even know there was one!

auntginn Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:26am
post #22 of 28

A little more splenda... Less of any liquid you use.... Little more cream cheese.

I found a recipe for sugar free marshmellow online, because my dm loves chocolate covered marshmellows. Since I buy sugar free chocolate, I tried them and she liked them. They don't have any funny after taste. Not as sweet though. And since we are looking to make a pretty cake, maybe it would work for Fondant.

Spectra Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:56am
post #23 of 28

Nice!! Thank you!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:10am
post #24 of 28

Hungry Girl has some recipes for low cal, low sugar cakes. I know my diabetic friend loves their red velvet recipe.

Since we're talking about weird stuff...is there a vegetarian/vegan recipe anywhere for fondant? Sis won't go for MMF or MFF because of the gelatin.

Spectra Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:13am
post #25 of 28

Can you get organic marshmallows?? lol I'm not sure if they exist, because if they do least their gelatin would be from plants... Other than that I'm not sure...

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:33am
post #26 of 28

OK then...I found vegan and kosher marshmallows. I need to get on closer terms with Yahoo search. LOL.

Oh, and I probably shouldn't have called a diabetic cake 'weird'.

Thanks.

Spectra Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:48am
post #27 of 28

Hehe, np. I'm glad you found the marshmallows. Now she should be able to eat a fondant cake! hehe.

auntginn Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:46pm
post #28 of 28

Pretty much they are about the same, recipe that is. But for my group of testers guess I will have to make a couple different ones to see how they turn out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%