What Size Tin???

Decorating By megan81 Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 1:21pm by janeoxo

megan81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megan81 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:24am
post #1 of 8

I'm making half a soccer cake for someone that will be sitting on top of another cake. She needs it too feed approx 15 kids (its her daughters 11th birthday) and a hand full of adults. Just wondering what size cake you think I should be using on the bottom? I'm using the wilton soccer tin but only doing half a ball. I'm planning on it looking something like the one below but does that one look like it would feed a lot more then what I need it too?

icon_smile.gif
LL

7 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 8

that one to me looks like about an 8" round (since the ball itself fits perfectly on a 6" round) the whole ball is supposed to serve 15, so I would say half of it probably serves about 6 or so.

What about putting it on a single layer 8" round......that would give you another 12 servings for a total of 18 servings?

A double layered 8" round like shown above serves 24 according to wilton charts, by itself!

megan81 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:19am
post #3 of 8

Thanks for you reply. The soccer tin says its 8 3/4 in. diameter so it wouldn't fit on a 8" round cake like the one below would it? icon_smile.gif

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:07am
post #4 of 8

What soccer tin are you using because as said before the wilton one fits perfectly on a 6" tin, I know I have done it a few times.

megan81 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:45am
post #5 of 8

Yeah it is a wilton one. I'm just hiring it and the lady there thought it wouldn't fit on an 8" but if you guys think it will thats great!! I'd like to do an 8" round on the bottom, hopefully a single layer cake will look just as good icon_smile.gif

janeoxo Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:37am
post #6 of 8

No reason why it won't. If you look on here there's lots of cakes that just have a single layer on the bottom with the theme of the cake sitting on the top. It is a common way of making up the cake servings.

Good luck with your cake.

megan81 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 10:40am
post #7 of 8

I hired the soccer tin today and it is 8 3/4 in. diameter so an 8" is going to be too small on the bottom. Its the wilton soccer ball pan.

If I do a 11" round cake on the bottom plus the half soccer ball, approx how many people will that feed?

icon_smile.gif

janeoxo Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 8

Wilton must have 2 ball pans, I have the sports ball and that is def 6" so sorry to misguide you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%