Just Rambling, I'm Nervous About My Brothers "wedding C

Decorating By cownsj Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 2:53pm by cownsj

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:48am
post #1 of 28

I'm not even sure why I'm writing, except that I think I'm trying to get my anxiety out. I just found out an hour ago that my niece and nephews are haivng a surprise 40th anniversary party for my brother and sister in law on Saturday. I asked if I could do a cake, they said they had a cake. Well, the two of them eloped 40 years ago, and never had a wedding cake, so I inquired further and found out they had ordered a sheet cake for the party, of about 60. I said I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I'd love to be able to give them a wedding cake, reminding my nephew that his parents never had one. Well, silly me, he listened and now I have to do a wedding cake for them for Saturday. I'm excited to do it for them, and for whatever reason, very nervous. I now don't want to do this cake..... lol And I'd be so upset if I wasn't doing it. Now, I need to go in and start making rose centers, and figuring out what the heck I'm going to do. All I know is that it's summer, I have to travel an hour and a half with it and I have no idea where the cake will be, so it'll be done in buttercream, oh, and they want a brown derby cake. Sorry to ramble, just trying to get some nerves out and get me going here now. Thanks for listening

27 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 28

breathe.. breathe... you can do this with no problem ..breathe..breathe.

cownsj Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:50am
post #3 of 28

breathe, ok, do I do that again? Thank you! I just made rose centers, hopefully they'll be set by tomorrow. I looked up online and saw that the 40th anniversary is Ruby (red). I was going to make red roses, but since my red is fondant, and this is a pool party/barbeque, etc., I know there is no way to add in enough anything to make the red hold up, and the roses not wilt. So, I'm satisfied with pink. Debating doing a few colors in the roses, whether to add in other flowers, like pansies, daisies, or anything else. Don't know if I should stack the tiers, use a floating cake stand from Wilton....... I do want the cake to look really big for them. And if I make enough for 3 times the people there, that's fine too. I just want to give them something to remember since they never had a wedding cake. As nervous as I am, I'm just as excited. Now, how do I crack an egg again?????? ARGH!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:25am
post #4 of 28

Don't over think it. I was in a very similar situation last year with my parents 40th anniversary surprise party. Except I had to do the food and rent the hall plus do the clean up. It was high stress, but in the end I panicked for nothing. Do a more simple design if need be. I have one in my pictures of my parents 40th. It's a clean simple design and was really easy to do.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1325058.html

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:42am
post #5 of 28

All will be ok, just breathe as the others have said & plan, organize, and prepare... you can do it we're all behind you!!!

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:55am
post #6 of 28

The anniversary may be ruby red but since they never had a cake before you could do it in the colors they would have wanted if they had had a cake. I am sure they will appreciate and be thrilled with whatever wedding cake you do for them. Just allow way more time than you think you need so you are not rushed.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:18am
post #7 of 28

I think whatever you do it will be greatly appreciated. That is very sweet of you to do. Best of luck.

@mkolmar
why do you hate jello? lol

mkolmar Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:11am
post #8 of 28

I never have liked the stuff. It's all jiggly and gross. I cant stand the taste or texture either. BLAH, the texture. It's disgusting and vile. People try to pretty it up by layering different colors or adding fruit or cream. What a waste of fruit or cream. I think it's because it's so cheap to make. People think it's so pretty and jewel like. I think it's a bowl full of slop and jiggly grossness. I never have liked it. When I got older I learned what it was made of and then it just made it seem even more gross.

To put it lightly when I was serving in the Marines I was told to eat everything on my tray when I was in field training. I ate everything but the jello. I got in trouble and was told to make a choice. Eat the jello or some sand from the ground I was sitting on. Imagine their face when I chose the handful of sand.

Anyways, back to the thread at hand.
I'm sure your cake will turn out fine. Just have the AC blasting and bring a coat for the car.

cownsj Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Don't over think it. I was in a very similar situation last year with my parents 40th anniversary surprise party. Except I had to do the food and rent the hall plus do the clean up. It was high stress, but in the end I panicked for nothing. Do a more simple design if need be. I have one in my pictures of my parents 40th. It's a clean simple design and was really easy to do.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1325058.html

Your cake is beautiful, and you were able to incorporate the red into it. I love the glitter dust on the cake, it really makes it pop. Thanks for the idea. And the support

cownsj Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugmama1

The anniversary may be ruby red but since they never had a cake before you could do it in the colors they would have wanted if they had had a cake. I am sure they will appreciate and be thrilled with whatever wedding cake you do for them. Just allow way more time than you think you need so you are not rushed.

I did ask if there is a color scheme for the party, and of course was told no. Boy, that would have helped alot. If I do flowers in different colors, do you think there is a way I can still incorporte some red without it being too....... can't think of the right word, but stand out too much and not go? Maybe a white ribbon on the bottom of each tier with some red hearts on the ribbon?

I got up feeling refreshed, then remembered I have to figure this out..... lol

Thank you everyone for your support and ideas. Mkolmar, I think it's great you did one for your parents. You know what this cake means. When my brother eloped, it wasn't because they wanted no wedding, on the contrary, I'm sure they would have loved the traditional big wedding. However, her parents didn't even want her dating yet, so they had made plans to elope right after her graduation (from high scho9ol). But when she had to leave early from graduation practice to get their license (she went to a private catholic school), the nun sent her to the principal who said he's have to call her parents. That was it, she took off from the school, and off they went. It was a very exciting week around our house, especially for me since I was only 14.

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:

I never have liked the stuff. It's all jiggly and gross. I cant stand the taste or texture either. BLAH, the texture. It's disgusting and vile. People try to pretty it up by layering different colors or adding fruit or cream. What a waste of fruit or cream. I think it's because it's so cheap to make. People think it's so pretty and jewel like. I think it's a bowl full of slop and jiggly grossness. I never have liked it. When I got older I learned what it was made of and then it just made it seem even more gross.

To put it lightly when I was serving in the Marines I was told to eat everything on my tray when I was in field training. I ate everything but the jello. I got in trouble and was told to make a choice. Eat the jello or some sand from the ground I was sitting on. Imagine their face when I chose the handful of sand.

Anyways, back to the thread at hand.
I'm sure your cake will turn out fine. Just have the AC blasting and bring a coat for the car.

I read this and then promptly went to the fridge, got an orange jello cup and scarfed it down icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:43pm
post #12 of 28

That's just nasty. My husband loves the stuff too. Eat all of you want of it. Your insides are probably neon orange now. icon_lol.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:14pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:

When I got older I learned what it was made of and then it just made it seem even more gross.

Sorry to hijack, but mkolmar, I just had to comment on the Jello thing... I'm with you on Jello and anything containing gelatin, including marshmallows, and many brands of yogurt. I think if more people knew what it was made of, fewer people would like it. icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:02am
post #14 of 28

A Brown Derby Cake?
Is that the chocolate cake filled with fruit and covered with whipped cream and cake crumbles?
-
-
What's the big deal about Jello? It's made from bones and skin.
I love a kettle full of that boiling away, releasing all sort of vitamins and minerals into the water.
Soups and stews and gravies - yummy.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:21am
post #15 of 28

You will do great work....like you do....and I am sure that they will be quite touched by the gesture. Best wishes! Would love to see a photo of it when you are done.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:23am
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I love a kettle full of that boiling away, releasing all sort of vitamins and minerals into the water.

Don't you love making pot roast and then you try the first bite to see if it's done and all that delicious fat and grease runs down your chin.

I just heard Homer Simpson drooling. Oh, that was me.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:25am
post #17 of 28

I like the idea of using red & pink hearts on ribbon.
If you want to use pink roses, why not paint them red w/thinned gel - you'll get two toned flowers that should look really cool icon_smile.gif

cownsj Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:52am
post #18 of 28
Quote:

A Brown Derby Cake?
Is that the chocolate cake filled with fruit and covered with whipped cream and cake crumbles?
-
-

That's the cake, though the outside at least will be vanilla buttercream. So that makes it easier. I still don't know what I'm doing except making roses. I think I'm leaning toward a stacked cake, but as for design, I'm at a total loss. I could just throw something together I'm sure, but it really want it to be something special for them. I will make devil's food cake, with the fruit filling, vanilla buttercream, and I have about 24 roses made. I'm doing them in different sizes with the largest being the darker pink and getting lighter as they get smaller. But I'm stuck right here. Do I put a fondant band around the bottom? If I do, do I use the cutter to outline hearts and paint them on the ribbon? Do I do some other border? I'm lost.

cownsj Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:55am
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

If you want to use pink roses, why not paint them red w/thinned gel - you'll get two toned flowers that should look really cool icon_smile.gif

I like the sound of this. I hadn't thought about painting the roses. I'm going to try this on one and see how it looks. Thanks. And I really like the idea of both the red and the pink hearts on the ribbon. I can picture that, and it sounds good.

cownsj Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:03am
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I painted the entire roses. I still don't know if I like them because they are so different,but I painted all of them, just the same. They look like they're porcelain, so I know it's taking time getting used to it. I guess I'll know once I put the cake together. tomorrow is decorating day, and I still haven't figured out how to decorate it yet. I did finally set on 3 round tiers, 14", 10" and 8". It just looked right to me today when I was going to begin baking.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:25am
post #21 of 28

You will do well with this. Please remember to show us pictures when you're done!

cownsj Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:25am
post #22 of 28

I'm not really excited about the design, but they were thrilled with it and really loved it. I was still deciding on the design as I was setting it up.... lol I tried attaching the photos here, but I can't figure out how to do it from the downloaded version and it says the image is too large. So, here are the links to two views anyway.
thanks everyone for the help.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1707642
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1707642&sub=1707648

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:58am
post #23 of 28

Your flowers came out beautiful!! I bet they loved it!!!

cownsj Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:52pm
post #24 of 28

Thank you Karen 421. I'm still not sure about them, they just look so different then what I'm used to seeing. They looked like they should when I made them, but of course adding the gel with color made them look more like porcelain. I know it's just the difference in texture, and I'm sure at some point I'm going to decide I really like the look. It was a GREAT technique to use to get the flowers red, especially when my brother was at the party asking us all what anniversary this was. He told us a story how on their 10th he went to a particular store and wanted to know what the gift for that year was and how he had to have the right gift. He was upset he didn't know this year's, but felt much better after we told him. He really loved then, having the red roses, and the idea that there were 40 of them.

7yyrt Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:17pm
post #25 of 28

cownsj,
If you want comments under your photos, just go into profile, and click the 'allow comments' box. It's gotten turned off (happens from time to time.)

cownsj Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:26pm
post #26 of 28
Quote:

cownsj,
If you want comments under your photos, just go into profile, and click the 'allow comments' box. It's gotten turned off (happens from time to time.)

Thanks so much. I just posted a new thread asking why all my comments were gone from my photos. You headed me off and I got it back on. No idea how it happened, but thank you for your help in me getting it back on.

7yyrt Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #27 of 28

Sometimes that button just seems to trip itself.

Must be an evil wizard's spell... you are aware that computers are magical, aren't you? LOL

cownsj Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:53pm
post #28 of 28

No, I didn't know that, but after this, I'm going to have to rethink that..... l

Now how do I get the good wizard spell? lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%