Can U Use A Store Bought Cake To Decorate With Fondant?

Decorating By googies Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm by nancyg

googies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
googies Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 6

i have little time with two little ones to bake and make frosting and then frost the cake. last year frosting was the hardest part.

Can i purchase a plain frosted cake at the store (is it self crusting buttercream that they use?) and decorate myself?

5 replies
Laurascakefactory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurascakefactory Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 6

Yes. but if you want to completely cover with fondant the frosting will already be set... you can do accents just moisten the designs with a little water or tylose glue

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, it will work.

googies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
googies Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 6

thank you! i will probably just do accents but this will be awesome! my husband is deployed and organizing/handling a bday party alone is so much work that i just cant spend two days baking and frosting icon_smile.gif the accents i will make with fondant and gumpaste way ahead (air tight kept) and then just plop em on icon_smile.gif

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 6

Sure u can use a cake mix. If you want a more dense texture add 1 additional egg, about 1/3 water and 1 cup flour. Works for me when I'm in a pinch for time. No complaints yet....

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 6

You can mist the icing with water in a spray bottle, then you can actually still cover the whole cake in fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%