In A Pinch...any Suggestions!?!

Decorating By mslesuer Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm by mslesuer

mslesuer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mslesuer Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 11

I have a friend who's getting married and she wants a Red Velvet Cake...however, she CANNOT eat the cream cheese frosting icon_surprised.gif ....What other frostings/fillings pair well with RV, that dosen't require refrigeration!?! (this cake has to sit out for a long period of time)....Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thx

10 replies
princesssalamander Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesssalamander Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 11

there's one called flour frosting. Its basically a butter cream but has flour in it - there is a recipe on this site. There are other names for it as well

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 11

There is a flour frosting that is actually the original kind of frosting used on red velvet, if you google it you can find one, there may even be one on CC!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 11

id say regular bc would go with it anyway. why cant she eat the cream cheese one - if its an allergy issue, find out what the actual problem is.
xx

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 11

You could use bc, then flavour it with cheesecake flavouring. It tastes just like cream cheese.

2gr8kdz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2gr8kdz Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 11

I think a lemon custard or lemon curd filling with a buttercream frosting would pair very nicely with red velvet.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 11

Some people do coconut pecan icing with red velvet.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 11

Why not use the "traditional" red velvet icing? Cream cheese isn't the "origional" icing used for red velvet although it has become a tradition to some icon_smile.gif

My grandmother use to make red velvet and she always used the cooked icing. In my opinion it compliments the cake the best.

You can Google "traditional icing for red velvet cake" and the recipe will pop up for you. thumbs_up.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 11

Just a note. The original 'boiled or cooked' icing is great but depending on the recipe it was not as stiff as a shortening traditional based BC. That said. I can decorate and pipe with it but for me it didn't crust. Tasted great. You might want to experiment with the different recipes and see which one holds up the best for you.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 11

[quote="sillywabbitz"]Just a note. The original 'boiled or cooked' icing is great but depending on the recipe it was not as stiff as a shortening traditional based BC. That said. I can decorate and pipe with it but for me it didn't crust. Tasted great. You might want to experiment with the different recipes and see which one holds up the best for you.[/quote

It isn't going to crust. Crusting buttercreams are made with powdered sugar and "crust" due to the sugar to fat ratio.

mslesuer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mslesuer Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone for the wonderful ideas....I will try them all to see which is Best....thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%