How To Get Buttercream To Crust Fast???

Decorating By justErin Updated 6 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm by patticakesnc

justErin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justErin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 14

I am on the verge of a meltdown.... cake totally fell apart and it's for a gradutation celebration in the morning at church. I glued it all back together with BC, but it's taking longer to crust so I can finish frosting it.

Any tricks to speed this up?

13 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 14

Keep it out of the refrigerator. Did you ice a cold or frozen cake? The only time I've had issues with buttercream not crusting is when I did one or the other.

What recipe did you use? I use Indydebi's recipe and it crust in less than 10 minutes. What fat/sugar ratio did you use?

justErin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justErin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #3 of 14

Nope, cake was room temp...it was in the pan too long, and that's part of the reason it demolished itself!

I used the Wilton BC recipe....

2 cups fat (1/2 butter 1/2 crisco) to 2lbs. p. sugar

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #4 of 14

I use Indydebi's recipe also it crusts very fast. Is it trying to crust at all? How long has it been? How humid is it in your area? Sometimes when it is very humid here I put it in the fridge and it helps to set it up much quicker.

mamawrobin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 2:53am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

area? Sometimes when it is very humid here I put it in the fridge and it helps to set it up much quicker.

Really? icon_confused.gif It's very humid here as well and if I put mine in the fridge it WILL NOT crust at all until it comes back to room tempature it's sticky and messy.

patticakesnc Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 4:11am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

area? Sometimes when it is very humid here I put it in the fridge and it helps to set it up much quicker.

Really? icon_confused.gif It's very humid here as well and if I put mine in the fridge it WILL NOT crust at all until it comes back to room tempature it's sticky and messy.

That is odd. It is the opposite here. I have done it many many times.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:35am
post #7 of 14

The only times I ever had icing problems was when I put my cakes in the 'frig (only twice .... never again).

whenever I see problems with icing, it's usually a 1:1 fat/sugar ratio. My opinion is reduce the fat.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:41am
post #8 of 14

cruIsting does happen fairly quickly in my experience... I have used the wilton recipe and ust recentjly I triedindydebi's for the first time and it crusted fairly fast as well.... matbe a fan? I fnd that I need to turn off my ceiling fan whenI coat the cakes bcause it well start cirusting bfore I even finish... air is realy what makes the crusting process so say add sIme air... oa fan and it should work fine... oh wait u ned it the ecAKE FOR NOW? SORRY.. HOPE ALL.TURNED OUT WELL FOR YU icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:33pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

The only times I ever had icing problems was when I put my cakes in the 'frig (only twice .... never again).

whenever I see problems with icing, it's usually a 1:1 fat/sugar ratio. My opinion is reduce the fat.

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif I'm happy to know that I'm not crazy icon_lol.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:46pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by justErin

Nope, cake was room temp...it was in the pan too long, and that's part of the reason it demolished itself!

I used the Wilton BC recipe....

2 cups fat (1/2 butter 1/2 crisco) to 2lbs. p. sugar

Try 4 lbs sugar

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 14

I like a little butter in my icing. Trail and error has taught me to use a 3 to 1 ratio of crisco to butter.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 14

I usually stick mine in the fridge. I use Edna's receipe, but sometimes I put too much liquid in it. HTH

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 14

i do this for all of my cakes now.

buy a good dehumidifier...put it in the smallest room in your house. turn it on high. turn on the light. put your cake in that room. shut the door.

it will crust in less than 30 minutes, every time!!! and i fridge all of my cakes in b/t crumb and final coat for 15 minutes (don't hate me mamawrobin and indydebi icon_smile.gif) i never fridge my cakes to get them to crust...yes it will harden, but not crust.

and to those who think the dehumidifier might dry out the cake...it doesn't. the icing is totally surrounding the cake so no worries there! essentially i try to create the driest environment possible. and crusting really depends on the fat to sugar ratio...not the dry to liquids ratio...so maybe up your sugar next time!

good luck!

patticakesnc Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 14

Well heck. That is really odd. But I have no problems with the fridge. Maybe I have a magic fridge? LOL. But I just did it Friday night with my cakes I was making and no problems at all. I guess I am the lucky one here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%