Buttercream Trouble

Baking By sweettreat101 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm by jdelaney81

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 1:27am
post #1 of 4

I usually don't have trouble with my buttercream but today I kept getting bubbles. Looks like the bubbles you get under fondant. I was able to smooth it down but I have two cakes next weekend and don't want a repeat.

Could it be over beating, heat ,chilling. I always chill my cakes and have never had any problems. The lady that gave me the icing recipe told me to whip until light and fluffy. Maybe I went a little overboard. LOL.

The recipe I use has 1 1/2 cups hi ratio and one stick of butter. Thanks everyone. I am really considering using ganache under my fondant next week instead of butter cream. How well does it hold up in the heat?

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 4

No one really knows why those stupid bubbles form, but there are alot of theories.

I never put my cakes in the fridge, and let them settle and have still had those bubbles from a few times. Happens for me more when it is hot outside, so I don't know if weather plays a factor into it or not.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 4

Funny, I got my first bubble under buttercream this weekend! I used the Sugarshack recipe, and attached small fondant decs with vanilla extract. the bubble was right beside one of the decs. I just used a knife tip to pop it, then smoothed the BC, and all was well.

No fridge involved. And the bubble occurred before being on display. With the temp my DH keeps the house, no worries of it being too warm overnight!

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 4

I have only got the bubbles when I have froze the cake and it wasn't completely thawed when I iced it, or froze the cake with the icing on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%