Cricut Cake= Mental Institution

Decorating By cakesbykitty Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 12:53am by sillywabbitz

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:44am
post #91 of 114

Thanks Suebee
I didn't know about letting it sit overnight. Do you mean before you smoothe it onto the sheets? Or smoothe it out, and let it sit overnight?
Kathy

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:54am
post #92 of 114

Hi Kathy,

Nice cake! Here's some SugarVeil info:

Whether you are casting SugarVeil into a sheet, stenciling it, or even using it with the Lace Confectioners' Mat, just before the "set" stage, SugarVeil goes thru a very soft and stretchy stage. If you try to manipulate it and it stretches out of shape, this means it is not yet set.

A good example is removing it from the Lace Mat (as pictured below). If you try to remove it during the "stretchy" stage, it will tend to cling to the mat and stretch. If you give it just a bit more time, it will remove easily. Big difference between these stages. As you work with it, the stages become much more familiar to you.

So when you are setting SugarVeil (and remember that blowing fans and near-the-oven vicinity will speed up the setting time, if you desire), test it by picking up a corner.

Email me at [email protected] if you like, and we can talk more specific details to your particular process. Also, here's the link of instructions with photos of using SugarVeil with the Cricut: http://ow.ly/d/3XS

Suebee, so glad you mentioned Ashley doing the suimsuit. When I watched that challenge and saw the blue mat she was spreading SugarVeil onto, I nearly swallowed my gum. Ashley hadn't realized that that particular Ateco mat (the all blue one without the markings) was intended for rolling out fondant to place onto a cake - for that, you want a mat that sticks and grabs the fondant so you can position it over the cake. And that Ashley was able, in spite of the mat, to make the swimsuit really shows just how talented those hands of hers are! I was pretty incredulous.

Ateco makes other great silicone mats - a blue one with measurement lines, and a beige one with blue trim. I have many of both of these and they are wonderful for working with SugarVeil. As with all silicone mats (except our Lace Mat), be sure to grease with a layer of Crisco before working with SugarVeil.

Michele at SugarVeil
LL

iluvpeeks Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #93 of 114

Tnanks Michele
So in other words, you smoothe it onto the mat right after mixing it, and wait for it to "set" than you can try cutting it on your cricut? Or do you mix it, leave it in the bowl overnight and than spread onto the sheet? Also, how thick or thin should it be after spreading? Sorry for all these questions, but I would really like to be able to use it on one of the Christening cakes for my newest grandson. I have time to get it down pat.
He's only 8 weeks old, and the Christening is in July.
Kathy

emilyg Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:05pm
post #94 of 114

Kathy, when I work with SugarVeil in the Cricut, I even have to refer to my own instructions at http://ow.ly/d/3XS. Each precise detail matters, since we experimented with several ways with the Cricut before coming up with them, so it's really important to have these instructions at hand when you work, and follow every little step (especially in step 3).

Here are the first lines of the instructions that talk about mixing (with all of the photos that are in the instructions, it makes them too long for posting on this thread, but since they are really helpful and often requested, the entire http://ow.ly/d/3XS instructions should be on a cc sticky somewhere):

"Day 1 - Mix SugarVeil (1c. SugarVeil to 1/3c. plus 2 Tbl. boiling water, beat on high speed for 4 minutes, leave at room temperature overnight).
Day 2 - Re-mix 30 seconds or so (by hand is O.K., too) before spreading. Spread SugarVeil paper-thinly onto a Crisco-greased..."

It's nearly impossible to spread SugarVeil too thinly. Pretty amazingly, it will remove from the mat easily if it is thoroughly "set". And the support of the parchment paper really helps in transferring it to the cake.

Here's a close up of the nice detail you can get with SugarVeil - the tiny eyelet shapes at the top of the photo are about 1/8" in width:
LL

iluvpeeks Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:19pm
post #95 of 114

Wow! Thats just a beautiful thing! I'm going to mix some up right now.
Thank you. I'll let you know how I make out.
Kathy

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:51pm
post #96 of 114

Thanks soooooo much for the Sugarveil update. You know when you get new stuff you just can't wait to play, I watched some videos, but unless someone is there showing you the way, it takes a few times. We will definately try more times. We so love the way Sugarveil looks. So you can only use silicone mats with Sugarveil or is there something else you can spread it on. We tried plastic wrap on bun pan but it didn't dry right. Can you use the mats that are for the Cricut?? I think Ashley might have had issues with being under so much pressure and on such a time crunch you have to impervise with what you have.

iluvpeeks Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:37am
post #97 of 114

Hi Suebee
Did you download the instructions? They are different from what comes with the kit. It explains things alittle better. It does say on the instructions that you can put it directly on the cricut mat, or the mat you got for free.
Kathy

emilyg Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm
post #98 of 114

Yes, and we still have Cut to fit mats available - just write "FREE MAT" in the Comments section and we'll send one out free with your order.

Besides the Cricut Cake mat, I've heard of some people using the back of the regular Cricut mats. I've also heard of people using greased parchment paper over the sticky side of the Cricut mat.

Greased parchment works fine for many other techniques, but since it's porous, your SugarVeil sheet ends up not being perfectly smooth, so for this, casting SugarVeil on a silicone mat or one of the other rigid cutting mats is your best choice.

One interesting note here - you can increase the effects of the 'bumpy' effect and make a great-looking seersucker fabric for a bow, especially if you use the combed lines technique shown here with the striped bow on the monogrammed cake: http://www.sugarveil.com/pdfs/sugarveil-monogramming.pdf

Michele at SugarVeil

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:35am
post #99 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulalovescake

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleykat1

we're setting up a 2 day class with Linda in Houston in September

If you can attend her class it will be worth every penny spend! I can use my with success every time. I also got the Silhouette and I use it all the time. I love what I can do with it that can't be done with the . The print and cut feature is fantastic.

What can the Silhouette do that Cricut can't? Curious minds want to know!

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:10am
post #100 of 114

Everyone keeps talking about cutting edge cake art GP recipe...does anyone have it to post? I have had all the same problems as KakesbyKitty....I have a $400 paperweight.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:13pm
post #101 of 114

Who makes the Silhouette?

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm
post #102 of 114

I was having a lot of trouble cutting out the gumpaste with my new Cricut Cake. I tried fondant, wilton premade gumpaste, making my own with Wilton's recipe, tylose, etc....I finally tried cutting edge cake art's recipe. I would post it here but I don't have permission so there website is cutting edge cake art . com without the spaces. It comes out solid, extremely white, not sticky, easy to make you roll it out to about half the thickness of a dime, to where you can see all the lines on the mat, let it sit for 10-15 min and it works wonderul. All you have to do is sign up for the recipe and they send it right away. I love it!

http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com/

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:26pm
post #103 of 114

Thank you so much....I subscribed! We'll see if it works for us.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:20am
post #104 of 114

For the ones that have used the Kopykake frosting sheets with the Cricut Cake. Are you just cutting out plain figures or are you coloring the sheet first?

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:59pm
post #105 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Who makes the Silhouette?

I looked for it on-line because I can't find it in any of the local stores. It's made by QuickCutz. Has anyone gotten it in a store vs. ordering it on-line?

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:02pm
post #106 of 114

I'm trying to decide between the cricket and the Silhouette. Thank you everyone for posting information about the pros and cons of both of these machines!

One thing that I really want to be able to do is let me create (draw) my own designs and then have the machine cut that shape in either fondant/gumpaste or out of stencil material. Can anyone tell me if either machine will let me do that (and how to get it to do my own design)?

thanks!!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:18pm
post #107 of 114

I stumbled on to this thread searching for help with my new cake cricut. I feel just like the original poster, cakesbykitty. I have been fighting with mine for a week now. I've tried so many different ways, read all the papers, watched videos, read forums...and I'm still having issues. Everything it cuts has such a jagged edge and it pulls sometimes. I even bought new blades thinking that may have been it. I as well am packing mine up and tearfully returning it. I wish I could've figured out the problems.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 5:46pm
post #108 of 114

Have you checked out Linda McClure's youtube videos?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 6:02pm
post #109 of 114

Sounds like it's wasn't dry or thin enough to cut. There is a definite learning curve, but once you get it - it is sooooooo worth it!!! Check out the videos and try her recipe, once you can cut something and get the "feel" of it, you will be able to cut anything. icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:05pm
post #110 of 114

I am really thinking the medium has a lot to do with it too - the brand/type of fondant you know? Several using fondarific have said it works well - I guess I need to get my fondant more like that consistency - I can't afford fondarific even with a coupon - WAY too expensive for me!

tiggy2 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 7:08pm
post #111 of 114

Wilton with tylose added works well too but it needs to be rolled very thin and let dry for awhile before cutting.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 11:52pm
post #112 of 114

I watched the videos. I tried rolling it very thin, letting it dry...everything. I really don't want to take it back but I'm just so frustrated. I used gumpaste and fondant. Guess I will try a different recipe before I throw in the towel. I'm one of those bakers who have a recipe that I swear I'd never change but maybe I will have to for this. Ugh.

tiggy2 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:39am
post #113 of 114

Try Linda's recipe and roll it with a pasta roller. I've never been able to get it thin enough with a rolling pin.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 12:53am
post #114 of 114

What a funny subject line. I really wanted a cricut cake but y'all have me stressed out. Guess I'll hope to win one at the North Texas Cake Showicon_smile.gif that way I won't feel bad if I can't get it to workicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%