Cricut Cake= Mental Institution

Decorating By cakesbykitty Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 12:53am by sillywabbitz

therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #31 of 114

wow.. I thought I was the only one who could not get it right... a little disappointed on all the hipe of the cricut cake... not that excited yet.. I hope I can get it right soon. I also rolled my gum paste thin, the letters and numbers(some)broke when I picked them up.. fun... hope to see the light at the end of the cricut soon...

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 10:42pm
post #32 of 114

I have no help for you, I have the same problems and wondering if I have like you said $400. piece of cr****, but I must say that you made me laugh, and feel better as I was having a hard day today.

Thanks

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:05pm
post #33 of 114

Well Im glad its not just me. My husband saw me cutting out pieces of an adirondack chair with my ribbon cutter and he said "Wouldn't that of been good for the Cricut machine to do??" Ofcourse I looked at him and sneared. I cant get anything to cut. Ive tried Wilton, Ive tried freezing, Ive tried the sheets and after using almost all of them I got maybe a total of 6 of the simple flowers that are on there to make a beach pail. Ive also tried tylose, gumpaste, modeling chocolate and now cold porcelain. I put my pieces threw a pasta machine and it still doesnt work. The blade drags over whatever I put in and eventually lifts it up. Ive got more cuts on the mat than on the paste even when I set it to cut. I really frustrated with it also. Feel like it was a big waste of money. To me it should of been as easy as it looks on the videos for the price! I mean really! This machine cost an arm and a leg and I think of all the things I could of spent the money on that wasnt a waste of my time!!! And because I dont live near any of the classes, Im stuck in chickenville with an expensive paperweight! Phew! That felt good to get that out!!! icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:13pm
post #34 of 114

Anything that has this much of a learning curve and takes this much futzing around with and sends this many people over the edge is just not done being designed yet. They need to take this one back to the drawing board and tinker with it a little more to make it suitable for caking. Especially for that much money. It just shouldn't be that temperamental, or you need to really look at whether or not it's fit for the purpose it's being sold for, in my opinion.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:20pm
post #35 of 114

I just tried to email cricut support (off their website) and it came back as undeliverable... hmmmm

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 1:05am
post #36 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakesbykitty

I just tried to email support (off their website) and it came back as undeliverable... hmmmm

Their mailbox is probably full of hate mail and has no more room in it! icon_lol.gif

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:00am
post #37 of 114

I don't want to totally hate on the Cake, because I've had a lot of luck using with paired with Make The Cut. For some odd reason, I've never had a single problem with anything I've cut using the program. It's all problems cutting stuff off the cartridge icon_wink.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:30am
post #38 of 114

Absolutely I got it to work. I rolled out a fondant/tylose sheet about the thickness of a dime and then let it dry for 12 hours. Yup, it's important to let it dry overnight so it gets dry yet pliable enough. The next day it cuts VERY easily and I have hardly any problems. The tip listed in the instructions says you will have more success with figures over 3 inches but I've found that I can go as small as 1*1-4 for lettering.

Sure hope this helps. OH! for the frosting sheets, make sure there is crisco on your mat and give it a few minutes for the sheet to absorb the crisco before cutting and you'll have more success.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:49am
post #39 of 114

I am one of many people who returned the cricut cake. I, however, never even took mine out of the box! I read so many negative reviews on the cricut messageboard, that it made me realize I did not need a second job in attempting to figure this out. It's to be a hobby, not another job. If it's this much trouble, you might want to consider returning it.

cakesbykitty Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #40 of 114

i really want to figure it out. I don't want to return it.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:00pm
post #41 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakesbykitty

i really want to figure it out. I don't want to return it.

I really hate that you are having such a hard time, you are soooo close, a little more drying and you will have it!!!

Some people are having success cutting cookies out -I am going to try today, don't know how I'll do, but but others can, why not!

Don't give up!!

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:31pm
post #42 of 114

Hi
I too had problems in the beginning. Not anymore. You should get the recipe from Cutting Edge Cake Art.com. If you sign up for their newsletter, they will e-mail you the gumpaste recipe they use on the cricut cake. It does work! Also, I rub a little corn starch on the fondant, or gumpaste before cutting, and it does work. That suggestion I found posted on cc, and tried it, and success! I also find that with using the gumpaste recipe, I can roll it out directly onto the generously greased cutting sheet very thin. ( Can see the printing on the sheet through it.) I think rolling directly on the sheet helps it stick better, so the gumpaste or fondant (I use fondarific) can't slip or move while cutting a design. Then apply a little corn starch. Gumpaste can be cut in as little as 5 minutes. I let the fondant sit for about 20 minutes, or put in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. Do try the corn starch though, it really makes a difference. I just received sugarveil today, and am going to try that next.
Kathy

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:06pm
post #43 of 114

When mine tends to do the jagged edge. That is my MAIN problem I'm finding it's too thick. Also, I've tried fondant too soft , gumpaste too hard so I did the 50/50 mix thin almost to see lines through then let it sit for 15 min and more than not it worked. I can't seem to get the intricut stuff at all. If it's thin it rips if it's thick it drags. This machine is all on the texture and thickness of the medium that we are using. I find it soooooooooooo inconsitant. I wrote this in a previous post if I NEED it to work it doesn't if I don't NEED it then it does. I agree for the money it's a PAIN and yes I wish I had a nerve pill. I refuse to give up but don't have that kinda time to play, I bought it to help me be faster YEAH RIGHT!!!!!! Take care and YOUR NOT ALONE!!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #44 of 114

Buy an exacto. Works better, less stress.

iluvpeeks Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 6:54pm
post #45 of 114

Debster
Have you tried Cutting Edge Cake Art gumpaste recipe? It really makes a difference. Also, try rolling it out directlly on the mat. I also very generously crisco the mat. It needs to adhere to the mat. The edges were not clean for me either, so I start cutting about 2 inches in from the edge of the fondant or gumpaste. Just for the heck of it, I just tried a little experiment (rocket scientist I'm not!) I mixed alittle corn starch in with the crisco, and the fondant really stuck. Give it try. I know it can be extremely frustrating! Don't give up. I'm still trying to get smooth buttercream!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #46 of 114

I roll my fondant/gumpaste directly on the mat also and it does make a difference!! I have sugar veil but haven't tried it yet, let me know what you think.

cakesbykitty Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 8:54pm
post #47 of 114

I have sugarveil coming in the mail and just printed the gumpaste recipe... thanks!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 10:09pm
post #48 of 114

Yes I've used Linda's recipe since I bought her DVD last year, and cutting edges is almost exact to that. I refuse to give up , just wish I had time to play.

iluvpeeks Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:00pm
post #49 of 114

Debster
Do give Cutting Edges gumpaste a try, and please try using alot of crisco, rolling directly onto the mat, and corn starch. I really think it will work for you
Kathy

cakesbykitty Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 11:06pm
post #50 of 114

I pray that we all find a way to make it work. I am inspired by all the suggestions, it will just take time and money to try them all... both of which I'm not in abundance of at the moment.

Keep sharing ideas, sooner or later we will ALL have it down! icon_biggrin.gif

iluvpeeks Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:09am
post #51 of 114

Thats exactly right.
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks??????????????lol

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 5:36pm
post #52 of 114

Hi Guys,

I noticed this thread, and wanted to be sure you all had the instructions for using SugarVeil in the Cricut -

Here's the link to a tutorial with photos: http://ow.ly/d/3XS

Thanks much,

Michele at SugarVeil

cakesbykitty Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:39pm
post #53 of 114

Thank you Michele! I am typing this reply to the hum of my printer printing it off! I ordered the starter set and did "free mat" in comments. I can't wait to try it. Thank you again for the coupon code!

If nothing else I am really excited about making "fabric" and bows with it!

Kitty

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:28pm
post #54 of 114

Glad we caught the post, Kitty.

Please let us know if we can be of any help - you can email us at [email protected]

Michele at SugarVeil

teenycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenycakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:36pm
post #55 of 114

KakesbyKitty,

I just tried out my Cricut this past Sunday, and it worked really well. Here's what I did:

1. Added 1/2 Tablespoon of tylose powder to 8 ounces of Wilton fondant and kneaded it into the fondant.
2. Rolled the fondant to about 1/8th inch thickness. I used the large Wilton roller.
3. Let the fondant set for about 15 minutes to dry a little.
4. Placed a thin amount of shortening on the mat.
5. Placed the fondant on the mat and rolled over it to make sure it was secure.
6. Cut using the machine.

If you want to color your fondant, do that first before adding the tylose powder as the fondant tends to dry out quickly, which makes it more difficult to blend the color.

I noticed the thinner my fondant was rolled, the better the cut. I'll try and attach a pic of several of my cutouts.

Teenycakes thumbs_up.gif
LL

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:54pm
post #56 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenycakes

KakesbyKitty,

I just tried out my this past Sunday, and it worked really well. Here's what I did:

1. Added 1/2 Tablespoon of tylose powder to 8 ounces of Wilton fondant and kneaded it into the fondant.
2. Rolled the fondant to about 1/8th inch thickness. I used the large Wilton roller.
3. Let the fondant set for about 15 minutes to dry a little.
4. Placed a thin amount of shortening on the mat.
5. Placed the fondant on the mat and rolled over it to make sure it was secure.
6. Cut using the machine.

If you want to color your fondant, do that first before adding the tylose powder as the fondant tends to dry out quickly, which makes it more difficult to blend the color.

I noticed the thinner my fondant was rolled, the better the cut. I'll try and attach a pic of several of my cutouts.

Teenycakes thumbs_up.gif

Those look great! I need to run to my cake supply store tomorrow and get some tylose and try this out. Have you tried cutting anything really intricate yet?

cakesbykitty Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:58pm
post #57 of 114

I need to find Tylose also, these look GREAT! try something really intricate and post a pic of it?????

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:18am
post #58 of 114

Thanks so much for all the posts. Just tried my Cricut Cake and want to scream too. I will try Tylose or Gumtex with my fondant. Doesn't the fondant wrinkle when it drys and you more it or bend it to apply to a round cake? And good luck to all that tries Sugarveil. Got the whole machine for xmas and tried it about 6 times and can't get anything to work. Now the Cricut Awrrrrr.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:26am
post #59 of 114

Does anyone's blade of the Cricut Cake turn? I can pull mine straight out and turn - is it suppose to do that?

cakesbykitty Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:52am
post #60 of 114

yes, it turns. I wondered the same thing when I used mine... I noticed when I watched it (by practically having my face in the machine) it turns as it is cutting so the sharp side of the blade is always going into the medium

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%