Double Check My Calculations Please..first Wedding Cake

Decorating By crazyladybaker Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 6:58pm by crazyladybaker

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 5

Hello. Well, the big day is two weeks away and I am near a nervous breakdown trying to triple check that I have everything I need and have a plan of attack. Can you look over my agenda and see if my math is off or if I am missing anything? Any and ALL tips are greatly appreciated.
The cake is a present to bride and family although they say they will be paying for it. So, there will be no actual "billing".

I have purchased the SPS system and am hoping this will be less stressful than dowels. I am baking and freezing cakes ahead of time.
Wedding is on a Saturday. Going to thaw cakes on Thursday and frost and cover in fondant on Thursday evening and Friday.
Planning on delivering cake about 6 hours early. Was thinking of partially stacking at home and final stack there?

Wedding servings needed- approx 250
Cake - WASC
Frosting/filling - Sugarshacks buttercream
Fondant - Jennifer Dontz white chocolate fondant
All tiers to have 1" white ribbon at base.

Tiers 14", 12", 10", 8" and not including 6" for bride and groom to freeze
(196 servings)
Bride wants "plain and simple" white fondant...ACK. She doesn't understand how much more difficult "plain" is. She wants no decorations so I won't have the option of hiding imperfections with flowers or scrolls.

2 layer 11x15 sheet cake - WASC with buttercream
(60 Servings)

I already have my Rubbermaid tub out and am putting my "must have" items on site for any touch ups to be made when I get there.

Sorry this is so long but if you have read this far....what am I missing?
Is my math correct for servings?
I am using Debi's cutting chart icon_smile.gif

Fire away ladies!!
Hugs!

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 5

your plan sounds good to me!

The only suggestion I would make is to not stack any of the cakes ahead of time.......those are big cakes and will be HEAVY!!

I did a cake just like you mentioned........same sizes all white fondant......however I did have butterflies to hide imperfections (although I didn't have anything to hide FOR ONCE) so it's possible to do this lol

Sometimes people will stack a couple of the small cakes and then add them on at the reception but even if you just stacked the 6" and 8" cakes they're SO HEAVY to lift up to where you'll need them when the others are stacked. This is going to be a pretty tall cake and it's going to be hard enough to lift the 6" cake up there, let alone 2 cakes already stacked.

I say, leave them apart and make things as easy on yourself as possible!

Might not be a bad idea to run over a back up plan with the bride in the eevent of some "mistakes" on the cake. Things like, flowers, piping, etc. that could be used "in the event" things go wrong!

Most brides would rather have a cake w/ flowers than a cake w/ nothing and cracks all over it! Best to have a plan B "just in case"
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 5

oh and according to this chart

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi

you have 208 servings w/ the tiered cake and the 11"x15" will give you at least 70 1"x2"x4" slices!

crazyladybaker Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

oh and according to this chart

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi

you have 208 servings w/ the tiered cake and the 11"x15" will give you at least 70 1"x2"x4" slices!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I think I am going to go with your suggestion and carry each cake unstacked. I mean this will be my first time doing anything this large not to mention traveling across town with it.

I have been wondering all day what I am going to cool the 14" cake on...lol

I have cooling racks but nothing this large. Any tips for that?

Your cake is just beautiful! I love it. Thanks for taking the time to share it with me icon_smile.gif

You rock!!!

crazyladybaker Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 5

just thought of something else...SPS can hold this weight right???
I have never used it but am crossing my fingers it can hold the weight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%